Brewing Tonight Need Advice On Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthorn9435

Reaction score
Brewing an extract Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest tonight and was wondering, should I get bottled water or use my campden tabs. Will this
remove the chloramine and chlorine? I don't want to end up with bad beer. Please advise.

Actually I understand the best thing for extract is to use distilled water, because the extract is going to contain the minerals from the extraction process. I wouldn't worry too much about it for now though.

Don't use melted yellow snow.

That being said, what is wrong with the water you have on tap? Is it too hard, too soft, etc....? Your tap water would have to be pretty undrinkable to end up with 'bad' beer. It might have some off flavors, in which case you would have to make adjustments down the road.

If you are new to brewing, I say go with what you have on tap and see what it ends up being like. You may be happy with it and save a few $$ in the long run from not buying water.

Back