Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never done this. Needed some wisdom from the sage minds here. Got a late start and didnt want to eff around with a late night so I smoked with pecan to 140 and pulled amd put in oven. Its in oven at 350 convection, figured 350 was a good number. It looks pretty but its in a s... ton of liquid now?
20200217_183835.jpeg
20200217_183837.jpeg

Never done this. Needed some wisdom from the sage minds here. Got a late start and didnt want to eff around with a late night so I smoked with pecan to 140 and pulled amd put in oven. Its in oven at 350 convection, figured 350 was a good number. It looks pretty but its in a s... ton of liquid now?View attachment 667057View attachment 667058

What have you got there?

No hurt in finishing a piece of meat in the oven. It will generally only take on so much smoke flavor any way.

Is your concern the amount of liquid?

Yeah dont like the idea of boiling it. Its a 9 pound pork butt rubbed with a cup of sugar and a half cup of kosher salt smoked to 140 with pecan. Ok thanks Im rdwahahb! Its almost done.

Yeah dont like the idea of boiling it. Its a 9 pound pork butt rubbed with a cup of sugar and a half cup of kosher salt smoked to 140 with pecan. Ok thanks Im rdwahahb! Its almost done.
Are you pulling the pork? If so,save the liquid.
Actually save the juice either way. Set it in the fridge to chill, separate the fat then add the liquid back to the meat regardless of what you are doing with it.

Dang it, was late and just bagged it in chunks to chop tomorrow. Thanks for the tips will save juice next time. Bark is pretty tough, but man yummy. Hope it softens in bag. Will chop tomorrow after work. I knew you guys would know, but had hands full making pasta with son.
Are you pulling the pork? If so,save the liquid.
Actually save the juice either way. Set it in the fridge to chill, separate the fat then add the liquid back to the meat regardless of what you are doing with it.
20200217_203904.jpeg
20200217_215428.jpeg

I began BBQing Brisket Hot n Fast years ago to eliminate the ‘dry flat syndrome’. I smoke-roast a full packer in 5 hrs at 325*-350*F. It’s so tender, moist, and tasty I quit going low n slow altogether. I can put it on at lunch and be eating awesome BBQ for supper.

Will be trying hot and fast at some point here.
I began BBQing Brisket Hot n Fast years ago to eliminate the ‘dry flat syndrome’. I smoke-roast a full packer in 5 hrs at 325*-350*F. It’s so tender, moist, and tasty I quit going low n slow altogether. I can put it on at lunch and be eating awesome BBQ for supper.

Picked up a 1980 NOS little chief and smoked some pork shoulder. Had to finish on grill. Going to be upgrading the little chief to put out some more heat.
IMG_20200229_125612_01.jpeg

I too found pork for $.99/lb and had a 9 pounder thawed for this weekend. About 4 hours left at this point.

20200229_085404[1].jpg

Did some thick porterhouse steaks and tri tip on the smoker last night but decided to almost take off the tip of a finger as I was finishing the sides and didn't get any pics.

Why only 20? ;)
If I tried to cram in more, I think it would mess with air flow. It only took 11 hours at 225F, which isn't bad from what I've read. I pulled out the water pan for the last 90 minutes to firm up the bark, which seemed to work well. I was too bushed to pull it last night so I wrapped it up tight and put it in a 170F oven until 5:20am. Pulled the pork, vacuum bagged it all, walked the pets, and made it to work without a minute to spare!

Next time, I'll definitely do this on a Saturday so I can get an earlier start, which was my original plan, but then a friend asked if I wanted to brew with him Saturday so... :D

Last edited:
Looks like a Traeger smoker in the background? I have the competing brand, RecTec Grills. Both are great at smoking meats at controlled temperatures.

Close, but that would be a Green Mountain Grill. If this one ever gives up the ghost, it will be replaced by a Rec Tec for sure! Both companies make great machines

16# Angus brisket dry rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, and dark roast coffee x 24 hrs. Popped in the smoker at midnight the night before the party at 200F with “competition blend” pellets on board. Cranked it to 225 and slathered an applesauce + dryrub mixture onto the fat cap when I woke up at 9am. Finished at 200 internal at 16 hrs and rested for an hour before cutting it up.

The two chickens down below got a similar rub minus the coffee. They only went in for the last five hours and came out perfectly juicy with a skin reminiscent of crispy beef fat. I wonder why?
IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG

I just ordered an Oklahoma Joes Reverse Flow Highland. Can't find them in the big box stores. They only carry the standard flow units. Costs about $100 more but they add the tuning drip trays and a stainless charcoal box. $472.99 with shipping included. If Lowes stocked it it would be around $379. Going to add the gasketing and some sealing. I think these for the money are a bargain. Next level up takes to $1000+
Oklahoma+Joe%2527s+Highland+Reverse+Flow+Offset+Charcoal+Smoker+and+Grill.jpg

I just ordered an Oklahoma Joes Reverse Flow Highland. Can't find them in the big box stores. They only carry the standard flow units. Costs about $100 more but they add the tuning drip trays and a stainless charcoal box. $472.99 with shipping included. If Lowes stocked it it would be around $379. Going to add the gasketing and some sealing. I think these for the money are a bargain. Next level up takes to $1000+
Oklahoma+Joe%2527s+Highland+Reverse+Flow+Offset+Charcoal+Smoker+and+Grill.jpg

I almost bought the Yoder Cheyenne a few years back, but it's shockingly small for $1k. Next size up is a $2k smoker. No thanks.

cheyenne-offset-smoker-1.jpg

Back