Raspberry Wheat Needs Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
I'm looking to the forums for some help. I brewed a Raspberry wheat for a wine mixer. I'm not a fan of wine, wanted to bring some beer, but also wanted to stay in the spirit of things.

The beer turned out okay. Good raspberry flavor, a little tart (which is fine with me), but it was lacking in body. The beer turned out really clear. I was looking for a thick wheat body with raspberry flavor and it was as clear as a raspberry lager and tasted watered down.

Here is the recipe. All Grain 5 Gallons
5 lbs. Rahr White Wheat Malt
5 lbs. Rahr Premium Pilsner

Mash 152 for 60 minutes
Batch sparge

1 oz. Hersbrucker (60 Min)

Primary - 10 days at around 72

Secondary - 10 days at around 72 on 3 lbs. of frozen raspberries that were thawed and dumped in

Keg - Carbed 34 psi for 36 hours, then 12 psi for 7 days. Kegerator stays at 37 degrees.

When I searched online I saw that others had similar problems with wheat beers being clear but most of the posts were a result of prolonged time in storage. This beer was less then 30 days old and was fairly clear after 20 days.

I'm still pounding it back, but I would like to give it more body.

Any suggestions?

I also have the same problem. Drinking it, but tastes too watered down. Next time maybe I'll drain the raspberries first, and then just add the fruit to the carboy? Or just not use fruit any longer.

Back