Weird keg foam issue! Please help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
Before I take a baseball bat to it! My kegs (only on my third one) seem to have great carbonation and pour fine using the method of 25 or 30 psi for a couple days and then lowering to serving pressure until it fully carbs with no shaking. However on all three kegs once I get toward the end of the keg (a quarter to a third just guessing) I start to get too much foam. Watching the pours, I can see foam coming out of the tap in spurts. I have checked for clogged taps and lines to no avail. I have it at 36 to 38 degrees with 11 psi and five feet of line. Using the balancing tools and calculators this should not be a problem. Any ideas?

I would try even less pressure.Sometimes I kick it down to 5 if its over pressurized it usually evens it's self out.

I can try less pressure but I am concerned there be other issues playing a part as well. I may up the line length to 7 feet and see what happens.

Line's too short. How long does it take from when you drop from 30 PSI to 11 PSI to when you have foam problems, (how fast are you drinking these kegs?). My bet is you aren't fully carbed when you drop to 11 PSI, so as they continue to carb, the carbonation becomes too much for line length.

If you are going to increase line length, just get 10' lines. You can't splice lines together, you need to just run new lines, (splicing with a barbed coupler creates a turbulence/venturi point that knocks CO2 out of the solution). You can always cut shorter, you can't go longer.

Decreasing pressure is only a short term fix....if you do that, the beer will go flat. You need a balanced system, (also make sure no warm spots, etc....but this doesn't sound like that kind of problem).

shortyjacobs said:
Line's too short. How long does it take from when you drop from 30 PSI to 11 PSI to when you have foam problems, (how fast are you drinking these kegs?). My bet is you aren't fully carbed when you drop to 11 PSI, so as they continue to carb, the carbonation becomes too much for line length.

If you are going to increase line length, just get 10' lines. You can't splice lines together, you need to just run new lines, (splicing with a barbed coupler creates a turbulence/venturi point that knocks CO2 out of the solution). You can always cut shorter, you can't go longer.

Decreasing pressure is only a short term fix....if you do that, the beer will go flat. You need a balanced system, (also make sure no warm spots, etc....but this doesn't sound like that kind of problem).

Between taking growlers here and there and drinking a few here and there myself I usually kick a keg in 3 to 4 weeks... It's at about two to 3 weeks when I get the foaming issues. Thanks for the advice... Is 10 feet what I should be at with 11 PSI?

Yeah, I run 10' with everything from 10-15 PSI, with no issues. Pours are a bit slower near 10 psi, but it means you have no foam problems. If it isn't pouring with ENOUGH foam at 11 PSI, you can foam the beer at the end by stopping the pour, then cracking the tap back open slightly, causing beer to shoot out of it and making a nice head, (this is how the Perlick 575 creamer faucets work, but you can make any faucet do the same thing if you just crack it open instead of opening it fully).

Latest posts

Back