Bottle grenades!!! woooooh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
Wow I just had my first bottle grenades and man are they deadly!

The Corona bottles were the first to go, they were in a cardboard box and sharp glass shards were everywhere inside it, they were stuck in to the sides of the box and some even made their way out of the box (I don't know how). There was even powdered glass all throughout it.

I popped the caps to vent the other bottles (hiding behind the glass door and reaching around with the bottle opener) and the beer gushed out like mad, some of them are only half full now.

I must have been drinking too much homebrew while bottling that bach and used the big side of the sugar scoop, which is meant for the 700ml bottles.

I've just sent messages to my mates to chuck the ones of this bach out before they blow up in their faces.

I think the new home brew slogan should be RDWHAHBIMWMHB
Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew In Moderation When Making Home Brew

How long had they been in bottles before they started to explode if I may ask? I am worried I had an incomplete fermentation, but its my first time so I don't know when to expect them to show signs of that. Best of luck with the clean up, its a shame to lose such tasty beer.

I also wonder if you didn't have an incomplete fermentation before bottling, but anything can happen when you get too much homebrew in you. :)

TL

yeah, i'v only had one grenade experience. I had left a 6 pack of homebrew in my car durring the summer. Took it out and left on the counter and went to bed. i woke up to a perfect circle of the bottom of the glass bottle left in the 6 pack, and an unbroken beer bottle (minus the bottom) on the counter. Cap still on and sealed, but oatmeal stout sticky on the ceiling....

i was more impressed than pissed.

*knock on wood* no bottle bombs here yet.

Oatmeal Stout on the ceiling from a bottle, now that's impressive. :rockin:

You'd have to really over prime to get bottle bombs. I'm another person that thinks you bottled prematurely, when primary wasn't finished/was stuck.

I might have had a stuck fermentation as I had 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary.
They were in bottles for about a month before they exploded.

I should start using a hydrometer....

I remember 1 hot day, several years ago. Irish red conditioning in the closet, probably about 80` in there. They started going off like grenades all right.
I made the mistake of opening the case. DON'T EVER DO THAT!
I think the heat pushed them over the edge. I'm sure they would have been overcarbonated no matter what, but I wonder if they were sitting in my basement if they'd have exploded.

Muss said:
I must have been drinking too much homebrew while bottling that bach and used the big side of the sugar scoop, which is meant for the 700ml bottles.
I take it from that that you were individually priming each bottle with sugar? Though that's not generally enough to cause bottle bombs on its own if the amount of sugar is roughly correct, it's a good way to get inconsistent carbonation...

Muss said:
I should start using a hydrometer....

If you're not using one, you're just guessing. Eventually, you guess wrong.

The stout that blew up on me, sat for 16-18 days..."Its gotta be done!"

it sucks to throw away 2 cases.

Back