My first lager ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug1395

Reaction score
Hello everyone .I'm still somewhat of a newbee having brewed around 15 ales this was my first lager attept. Everything went well but 4 days in to my ferment very little bubbles?? It is a brewers best euro bock.I used the dry yeast that was in the kit with no starter.My freezer is set at 55 deg and I have an additional tstat to be sure of the temp.If I touch the top of my brew bucket bubbles release.If I just watch sometimes no bubbles at all.Do I repitch??raise the temp of the freezer??or let it be??thanks for the help.

airlock activity and fermentation aren't the same. take a gravity reading and wait 2 more days to take another one. if its the same do what ya gotta do if not leave it.

airlock activity and fermentation aren't the same.

+1 The only way to 'officially' know if fermentation has started is to take a gravity reading with your hydrometer. I know from the lagers I have done that although they had excellent fermentations, it was not vigorous at all (super bubbling airlock, bulged lid, etc.)

Also remember that the plastic pails are not air tight and some co2 might be escaping at the seal. If that is the case, the airlock would not bubble that much. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Trust your hydrometer over the airlock.

Plus lager yeasts work much slower than ale yeasts and won't be producing as much CO2 as quickly as ale yeasts. Also, since the temp is lower CO2 stays in solution better, as I'm sure you already know, but figured I'd throw it in.

1 pack of dry yeast may be underpitching, especially if you didn't rehydrate, even at 55 degrees.

You must use a hydrometer. If you can use one to confirm your fermentation isn't moving, I would suggest re-pitching with two packs of properly rehydrated dry yeast. If you think fermentation has started but is slow, consider giving your wort a stir.

Being your first lager just let it sit. give it more time and act like this is what it is...a first. It's going to end up just fine.

Thanks for all the help.I decided not to do any thing and let it sit. The next day it took off.5 days after brewing ?? I guess I see how it turns out. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back