I know what's wrong with my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
Am I the only one who gets excited when identifying off-flavors in my beer? First, a friend helped me as he noticed an "apple" flavor, then I noticed a "green-apple" flavor - BOOM! Acetylaldehyde! Now I identified cardboard taste! BOOM! Oxydized!
Well, still trying to figure out the acetylaldehyde issue, but I'm fairly certain that I screwed up some of my beer by allowing the bottles to sit in too high heat.
Anyways, I suck at identifying flavors, so when I finally catch one, I get excited because now I know what I need to fix...most of the time.
One of these days, I'll identify that one fantastic, yet elusive flavor...GREAT BEER!

I thought it was pretty cool to see the flavors in my first batch changing over the weeks. I also noticed green apple, and a bit of buttery flavor. Both are abating and I am hopeful that after a few weeks in the bottle the beer will be delicious.

I also think it's pretty cool when I "get" a new off . I have been told it is all a matter of training. I am taking a class now that is teaching us how to identify not only off flavors. but also how to identify different types of hops and grain. I can't help but like this type of thing, I'm a geek!

BamaRooster said:
I also think it's pretty cool when I "get" a new off . I have been told it is all a matter of training. I am taking a class now that is teaching us how to identify not only off flavors. but also how to identify different types of hops and grain. I can't help but like this type of thing, I'm a geek!

That's a class I'd love to take, is it one offered by your LHBS or the one for BJCP judges? I'm terrible at picking out specific flavors, i find it easier to identify them in wine than beer though.

Back