Does Kombucha become more beneficial when fermented for longer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginner_at_Work

Reaction score
I was just wondering if kombucha becomes more beneficial health wise(good bacteria and nutrients) if left out to ferment for longer, For example 7 days vs 30 days, will the 30 day kombucha be more beneficial?

The jury's still out on whether or not the bacteria are even helpful at all.

Personally I don't find kombucha fermented for more than 2 weeks to even be palatable. I usually bottle mine at 1.

This is wild speculation on my part, but I would guess the much lower PH level of 30 day kombucha compared to 7 day would actually make it less healthy.

From wikipedia (so obviously take it with a grain of salt):
Adverse effects associated with kombucha consumption include... metabolic acidosis.... Some adverse health effects may be due to the acidity of the tea, which can cause acidosis, and brewers have been cautioned to avoid over-fermentation.

I've been seriosuly looking into Kombucha, although I've not yet brewed, and if it becomes to acidic it becomes hazardous and there are reported cases of people dying because of this (please note they had previous health problems), Kombucha must be at a ph level between 2.5 and 4.2 WHEN YOU DRINK IT, to be both safe and healthy to drink. I would say so.

Back