Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quit. I got 9 on the first time with the quiz (which didn't show up all day until just 30 minutes ago). I've gone through the quiz about 20 times. Seems easy enough... if you get any of the problems wrong, it gives you a chance to correct your work.

Well, I can't get the damn thing to work. I quit. Have fun. The web site / Janux was driving me nuts!

I figured out how to work the "order the brewing steps" control in the quiz. I'm not sure why it gave me such heartburn yesterday. Anyway, I'm back in.

:rockin:

Was it what I thought?

Yes and no. I was moving the numbers last night. But when I moved the numbers, I was thinking that I was moving the words. I can't really explain it but to say I dumb.

I just read through history of beer. I'll do the carbs, proteins, and lipids sections over the next few days and get ready for the next quiz.

I have not had a problem with access or viewing the videos with my laptop but the iPad does not work well with the site. Also way too many discussions going on.

I got this working on my work computer using Chrome. It failed on IE. Unfortunately I can't sit at work and take an entire course.

It will not run on my home computer at all. I've tried IE and Chrome.

Java issue?

I got this working on my work computer using Chrome. It failed on IE. Unfortunately I can't sit at work and take an entire course.

Java issue?

Check your browsers security settings and make sure you have JavaScript enabled. I think you need at least IE 10.

Just bumping a question about the groups, what is the point of joining a group? Not seeing any group areas of discussion. Well unless I wasn't let in the group, but I can see everyone over 160 now.

Java issue?

I logged in the first time yesterday- but since about 6 PM yesterday it times out and stalls at work and at home. I don't think I'll be able to participate if my internet can't keep it- it's just "loading" all the time no matter which browser I use. I tried chrome at work, firefox at home, IE, etc, and I can't get it to work for me. I watched the first few videos, but couldn't get the rest of them to load without timing out.

I also think the site is a bit overwhelmed with the number of participants for this course. Hopefully as we get into the week and beyond, everyone's access will be spread over a longer period and we'll have better connectivity.

I logged in the first time yesterday-
- it's just "loading" all the time no matter which browser I use.

Yesterday around 7pm the servers were getting blasted with all of us being eager. Wasn't until about 9pm CST that I started to get videos to load quickly.

I completed the first module today and took the self assessment quiz. I really like this, and you can't beat the price ! I am augmenting this educational experience with additional web searches on topics like amino acids, etc... I'm able to "self-educate" myself in areas where I am lacking the "pre-requisite" knowledge.
All in All I find this AWESOME !

Just bumping a question about the groups, what is the point of joining a group? Not seeing any group areas of discussion. Well unless I wasn't let in the group, but I can see everyone over 160 now.

When using the discussion/note function (talking bubble icon next to text and video transcripts) you can slide from public to private and type in the groups name, then the comments are shared with in that group only. Cleans up the lines of communication. Check out the guide under books. Will see if we can put together a tutorial video.

When using the discussion/note function (talking bubble icon next to text and video transcripts) you can slide from public to private and type in the groups name, then the comments are shared with in that group only. Cleans up the lines of communication. Check out the guide under books. Will see if we can put together a tutorial video.

Dr. Morvant, thanks for your efforts on this, so far I am really enjoying the experience and it's obvious some thought went into the content and presentation.

I have watched everything so far, with the exception of the video, ACS: The Chemistry of Beer, that is giving a an error loading, "Media Item not Found".

I logged in the first time yesterday- but since about 6 PM yesterday it times out and stalls at work and at home. I don't think I'll be able to participate if my internet can't keep it- it's just "loading" all the time no matter which browser I use. I tried chrome at work, firefox at home, IE, etc, and I can't get it to work for me. I watched the first few videos, but couldn't get the rest of them to load without timing out.

I had the same issue, but they loaded quickly when I tried them in transcript mode. If the videos are at the top of the page, there are two icons superposed on top of it initially. Clicking on the one on the right (transcript) takes you to another screen where the video is larger and a transcript of the video is on the right side. The videos play well for me there. I never got one to play in the "normal" mode.

Based on my experience with the website last night, I believe 1) the servers are overloaded, or 2) the circuit to their servers is at capacity, with the number of users accessing the videos. Just the number of users from HBT alone is probably more than they expected to sign up.

I was finally able to access most of the videos around 10:30p ET.

Something that might help some with the videos is to set the bitrate to a lower quality. This will help the videos to load faster. When the video screen comes up, you will see a box to the right of the volume control that may say something like "Auto on" of something. Click on this and lower the settings until you are happy with the video quality v/s functionality. I hope that helps out some...

I would suggest to all not to focus so much on the videos, but to rather consider them a suppliment to the course material. The documents presented for reading are where the "meat" of the class is and where you will likely learn the most so far. The videos are interesting, so I don't suggest outright ignoring them, but I would not drop out of the class if that is the only problem you are having. This is at least my opinion for the first unit. I'm not sure how this may change in future units of the course.

The intuitiveness of the interface of the class takes just a little getting used to, but you can see it is laid out pretty well once you get used to how it works....it reminds me of going from Windows XP to Windows 8..it's just "different."

My internet isn't particularly slow, but I still can't load any "lessons". I can see the header, "lessons" "discussions" and "course info", but when I click on "lessons", nothing happens and the page doesn't seem to fully load.

Mozilla Firefox is better than Chrome for me in this case as it does seem to eventually get going. (After 10+ minutes). I found the "self assessment"- I'll see how I do!

Is anyone getting 100% access through any tablet devices in desktop mode? I don't have a desktop and I want to wait on the kaveri apu's before I invest in a new system.

My internet isn't particularly slow, but I still can't load any "lessons". I can see the header, "lessons" "discussions" and "course info", but when I click on "lessons", nothing happens and the page doesn't seem to fully load.

After you click on "Lessons" at the top, you must then click on the actual unit you want to view in the list on the middle left of the screen. In this case, it says, "Unit 1: Overview of Brewing." Once you click that, you should see the material in the reading pane on the right. You can use your mouse wheel to scroll down to find the other course information. That's one of those weird things about the interface that you just have to get used to.

I could just be misunderstanding your problem, though, in which case, I apologize for the assumption.

I registered way back when it was posted on HBT. I never got notification that the course begun. Am I shut out?

Sheldon

Signed up today! I live and work less than a mile from campus and just heard of this recently. Pretty cool, but the new Janux site is a little overwhelming at first. I did finally figure out how to join the HBT group! Happy learnin'!

One of the students in the course posted these videos. Make sure to thank Keegan.

1st video - Notes, Sharing and Searching
[ame]http://youtu.be/fji52zjQfOM[/ame]

2nd video - Videos, Transcripts, and Assignments
[ame]http://youtu.be/F_SIrGpPgI4[/ame]

Yes and no. I was moving the numbers last night. But when I moved the numbers, I was thinking that I was moving the words. I can't really explain it but to say I dumb.

I just read through history of beer. I'll do the carbs, proteins, and lipids sections over the next few days and get ready for the next quiz.

Hmm, I'll have to try again, I couldn't get the drag and drop question to work either.

I can start the videos but get an error message "Video not found" as soon as the buffer empties and it pauses for a few seconds. Anyone else have this problem?

Here is another one from Keegan.

3rd video - Unit Workflow
http://youtu.be/jf6cn_TpU-c

Thanks for dropping in here to help us with getting used to the website!
Quick question - is there some good, online material covering an introduction to organic chemistry, It has been a ong time since doing any sort of chemistry so stuff like how to inturprit diagrams of molecoles and such has long left my head!

I guess I'm one of the select few to have virtually no issues with anything within Janus. I've gone through all 4 courses that I signed up for and feel like I've gone back to school without missing the last 27 years. I was a little concerned that my Chemistry was so rusty I'd be in a bind, but I scored 11/11 on the practice quiz. I suggest anyone that is concerned about the Chemistry to take the General Chemistry course that is offered. The only thing that I didn't try on the site was the discussion boards, but then I was on late in the evening on the West Coast and believed most of the group hadn't gotten that far.

BTW, I signed up for all the courses I'm taking the day the OP was up. User name is the same as here... CA_Mouse.

**PS** for the Chem Nerds out there.... OMg I'm BaSiC

I guess I'm one of the select few to have virtually no issues with anything within Janus. I've gone through all 4 courses that I signed up for and feel like I've gone back to school without missing the last 27 years. I was a little concerned that my Chemistry was so rusty I'd be in a bind, but I scored 11/11 on the practice quiz. I suggest anyone that is concerned about the Chemistry to take the General Chemistry course that is offered. The only thing that I didn't try on the site was the discussion boards, but then I was on late in the evening on the West Coast and believed most of the group hadn't gotten that far.

BTW, I signed up for all the courses I'm taking the day the OP was up. User name is the same as here... CA_Mouse.

**PS** for the Chem Nerds out there.... OMg I'm BaSiC

Hey there! I've lived in Georgia for about a year now, but I was born and raised in the I.E. :mug:

But I'm having trouble with the chem. I took it in high school, I'm still in my 20's at 26 so it wasn't as long ago as some, but I'm still struggling with it. I saw the basic chem class and it seems a bit overwhelming to me. Would you recommend to take this during the chem of beer course to supplement?

I figured out how to work the "order the brewing steps" control in the quiz. I'm not sure why it gave me such heartburn yesterday. Anyway, I'm back in.

Could y'all share your method, please? I'm on an iPad using Chrome and it just is not happening.

I'm having a heck of a time getting on the site, too. Bandwidth problems?

The iPad app is now available in the App Store. Just search Janux. Hope this helps some of you on mobile devices.

Hey there! I've lived in Georgia for about a year now, but I was born and raised in the I.E. :mug:

But I'm having trouble with the chem. I took it in high school, I'm still in my 20's at 26 so it wasn't as long ago as some, but I'm still struggling with it. I saw the basic chem class and it seems a bit overwhelming to me. Would you recommend to take this during the chem of beer course to supplement?

I decided to take the Chem class as a way to jar the dust from my 50+ yo brain. I think the Chem class is a decent one for any of us that want to understand more of the chemical aspects of brewing. Granted I have a background in Nuclear Physics and Culinary Arts (yes I know how to glow at night), so it is mostly review for me and I've always been a science nerd.

Watch the videos that Dr. Morvant posted links for, they do a good job of giving you a way to highlight and notate any of the course information that you need to re-read or study a bit more in depth on.

The IE is never changing (my kids are 4th generation born here). Nothing like hitting 80* the first week of January! Definitely makes it hard to brew some styles of beer without having a cooler or jacketed fermenter.

Back