Bad Trade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrap in bubble wrap, then seal in my foodsaver. I've never had one break during shipping, but if it happened somehow I'd like to think the sealed vac bags would contain the beer.

OP, I do think you were the victim of a bad trade. I can forgive delays and poor pkging, but if you didn't get the beers you asked for, that's not right. I hope your trades in the future go better. Well handled on your part, you might be sainted some day I think.

Just received the missing 3rd package. One shattered growler and a 2/3 empty bottle of yellow rose

image.jpg

Same as a prairie bomb from one of the first 2 boxes. Cap was on but the majority of beer apparently leaked out of the cap.
This was altogether poor packaging.

This is actually worse than if he had just drank the beer and sent you nothing. Then at least somebody would have enjoyed it. As it stands, you just got 3 (very delayed) boxes full of false hope.

The picture of the packaging says it all with regard to the level of care, attention to detail and due dilligence that went into this trade.

A shambolic way to ship something so fragile. Again looks like a USPS box.

Most likely a two pronged factor; the heat causing the carbonation to expand through a loose cap that wasn't properly fitted. Just my two cents, it could of been anything.

+1. I had a growler blow the bottom off in a shipment last week. It was filled on a pegas, vacuum sealed, bubble wrapped and double bagged. That Glass is just too thin for the pressure sometimes.

Not trying to absolve the trader if it was packed poorly, just providing an additional scenario to consider.

+1. I had a growler blow the bottom off in a shipment last week. It was filled on a pegas, vacuum sealed, bubble wrapped and double bagged. That Glass is just too thin for the pressure sometimes.

Not trying to absolve the trader if it was packed poorly, just providing an additional scenario to consider.

Ditto that man; bringing science into the conversation, not taking sides.

This must be how Bill Nye feels on a daily basis. I like it.

I always wondered that, too. I looked at that page several times before I shipped some beer to Hawaii (FedEx and UPS were no-gos based on cost) and I couldn't come up with any way beer falls into that category. For international shipments, yes, but domestic? I can't find anything about it.

Maybe you are supposed to pay some additional fee for shipping alcohol, but isn't that true with FedEx as well?

This was the 3rd package from the original shipment that soaked a bunch of other packages on a pallet.
He has mentioned that more beer would be on its way...

What's the difference between "Restricted" and "Prohibited"?

Good question. I'm still trying to find something that clarifies or explicitly defines it as illegal. This is the closest I have so far:

Restricted matter includes articles on which mailing restrictions have been imposed for reasons other than risk of harm to persons or property involved in moving the mail. Motor vehicle master keys and intoxicating liquors are examples of restricted items.

Good question. I'm still trying to find something that clarifies or explicitly defines it as illegal. This is the closest I have so far:

There are certain provisions that have to be met when shipping booze. Certain states have tax laws in place and prohibit shipping of any kind of booze, such as PA. You can ship commercially through FedEx and UPS with a license, you have insurance and if you are shipping with the provision that the package is signed for by a 21 year old person.

From what Ive read from other fellow beer shippers, USPS is the way to go where they will still deliver the package after something has broke and leaked like Mex's. FedEx or UPS will 'dispose' of the package instead of letting you decide whats salvageable.

I guess they all say its a no no... but what they don't know won't hurt them :mug:

sorry for taking this thread off topic!!!

From what Ive read from other fellow beer shippers, USPS is the way to go where they will still deliver the package after something has broke and leaked like Mex's. FedEx or UPS will 'dispose' of the package instead of letting you decide whats salvageable.

I guess they all say its a no no... but what they don't know won't hurt them :mug:

sorry for taking this thread off topic!!!

Its honestly up to the center where the damage is found, with any of the methods. I've had boxes sent back, boxes sent along despite damage and boxes flat out disposed of, both coming and going. The absolute worst thing for damage isn't from outside sources such as delivery personal, its from bottles clanking around inside the box against each other. Second to that is the temperature. Beer will freeze when shipped over the rockies in the winter time. Carbonation will expand greatly in the summer heat of Texas.

:off:

Right after 9/11 we had an incident with a wet package that came into our mail room. It had a funny smell, so the mail guys called someone in to look at it. They called the police.

The entire building was quarantined for about 6 hours. There were cops posted at all the exists. If you walked toward the exit, they would tell you to stop and put their hand on their holster. Anyone in the parking lot was banned from leaving. It was November. The poor smokers froze their asses off.

They eventually brought in guys in hazmat suits to check out the package.

Probably wouldn't happen today, but it just goes to show the trouble a wet package can cause. :D

BTW - the package contained deer urine. One of the employees was a hunter and ordered it online.

Found this after some digging

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_005.htm

42 Intoxicating Liquors

421 Definition

Intoxicating liquors are drinkable beverages that have 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content by weight and are taxable under Chapter 51 of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Code.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_006.htm

422 Mailability

422.1 Nonmailable Matter

422.11 Intoxicating Liquors

Intoxicating liquors having 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content are nonmailable. Taxable liquors (as defined by Chapter 51, Internal Revenue Service Code) with 3.2 percent or less alcohol, including those obtained under a prescription or as a collector’s item, also are nonmailable. The prohibition of the mailing of intoxicating liquors is contained in federal law (18 U.S.C. 1716).

422.12 Promotional Materials

Advertising, promotional, or sales matter that solicits or induces the mailing of intoxicating liquors also is nonmailable. See DMM 601.7.4.1.

422.2 Mailable Liquors

422.21 Products Not Categorized As Intoxicating Liquors

A product containing an intoxicating liquor is mailable if it conforms to the applicable requirements of the IRS and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and if it is not a taxable alcoholic beverage, poisonous, or flammable.

The following are examples of products that may be mailable:
a.Cold remedies.
b.Cooking wine.
c.Mouthwash.

422.22 Exempt Mailings Between Federal and State Agencies

Intoxicating liquor is exempt from the prohibition against mailing when it is sent between employees of federal or state agencies who have an official use for the liquor, such as for testing purposes. This exemption is based on the intent of the law to prevent liquor from being transported to prohibited jurisdictions for consumption and to ensure that all proper tax revenues are paid.

So I guess as long as you claim beer to be a cold remedy, you are OK.

Latest posts

Back