Question for some welders...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I found some "DOM" tubing on craigs list for what seems like a pretty decent price. They are calling it "electric weld" and apparently bought it to build a roll cage, but its not suited for that application. Will this stuff work for a single tier?

I found some "DOM" tubing on craigs list for what seems like a pretty decent price. They are calling it "electric weld" and apparently bought it to build a roll cage, but its not suited for that application. Will this stuff work for a single tier?

The quick answer is yes, but that's assuming it has at least some wall thickness to it. It's probably not DOM tubing, not if they're saying it's welded. What dia. and wall thickness is it?

Should work fine. What it sounds like you have is seamed drawn-over-mandrel tubing. It's no good for roll cages, because most racing organizations require seamless tubing for roll cages.

Straight from CL:

"I have four 20 ft sticks of 1 3/4 inch .120 wall DOM electric weld tubing. The tubing was donated to my Boy Scout Troop to be used in our truck's roll cage, but because it is electric weld we cannot use it. It is clean, uncut and untouched. Looking to sell individually for $100 each, or all four for $400. Also open to best reasonable offer.

Straight from CL:

"I have four 20 ft sticks of 1 3/4 inch .120 wall DOM electric weld tubing. The tubing was donated to my Boy Scout Troop to be used in our truck's roll cage, but because it is electric weld we cannot use it. It is clean, uncut and untouched. Looking to sell individually for $100 each, or all four for $400. Also open to best reasonable offer.

No question it will be heavy enough and plenty strong. Have at it.

The quick answer is yes, but that's assuming it has at least some wall thickness to it. It's probably not DOM tubing, not if they're saying it's welded. What dia. and wall thickness is it?

I agree "DOM" and "welded" are contradicting in steel tubing terms if they for the same item.

As a reference, B3 uses .063"wall (or 16 gauge) tubing on their sculptures. I think theirs is also 1.5" x 2.5" rect. tubing.

I used 2" x 3" x .083"w (14 gauge) in my frame and it is a little beefier than needed. Used it because I was able to get 50' for free. I am going smaller on the tubing next time around.

Sounds more than thick enough, but also expensive. You should be able to get enough steel for a stand for around $100. Check with a local supplier.

Straight from CL:

That's pretty expensive! $41 for 20' is the going rate for this from a mill on long runs of this size. A service center that sells any quantity would probably be around $60-$75 for 20'

Offer $75/pc. at the most.

Agreed, $5 per foot is pricey. Personally, I'd look for square tubing as opposed to round -- it's a lot easier to attach brackets and the like. With .120 wall and 1.75 OD, that's going to be a seriously beefy stand.

Back