100% Oat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the gravity on Sunday ~ 1.010. :\ green olives are still there but the smell is far less intense.

Im going to leave it for another week on the primary and see what happens.

The taste is definitely delicate. I might soak some plain oak chips in some Chardonnay and add that to a gallon and see what happens.

What was the drive behind using brett as opposed to something clean fermenting.

Brett C is clean fermenting in primary, or at least with a normal grist. Who knows what's happening with those oats. (Green olives apparently)

Given the foul and wretched smells I have gotten from my sour beers that turned out fantastic, I think there is still hope for this! Subbed!

To all the haters who are so ridged that they cant just have fun making beer, move along and read this scholarly article about 100% Oat Malt beer:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00487.x/pdf

For all of you who like to say why the F-not, thank you for following.

For Anyone who doesn't like to read through Scholarly PDF's provided is the conclusion:

CONCLUSIONS
Oats are a cereal with unrealized brewing potential.
Malting of oats produced not only a malt that is considered
to be of higher nutritional value11,15, but also suitable
for brewing a 100% oat malt beer or various speciality
beers. It could also be used as lautering aid due to its high
husk content8
. The mashing regime, which was designed
using mathematical modelling in a laboratory mash bath,
was successfully transferred to a pilot scale plant. The
processing of oat malt in the brewhouse did not generate
major problems; on the contrary, it was found that the oat
mashes lautered faster than the mashes produced from
barley malt. The improved lautering performance of oat
malt was due to its higher husk content. The increased
husk content, together with higher amounts of proteins
and lipids, led to a lower fermentable extract content in
oat wort when compared to the control barley wort. The
lower fermentable extract content consequently led to a
lower alcohol content in the oat beer. The protein profile
of oat wort, as measured by using Lab-on-a-Chip analysis,
revealed that there was no significant difference in the
protein profile between oat and barley wort, which had
also been reported by Klose et al.17. The fermentation of
both the oat and barley wort followed the same trend, the
only major difference was seen in the higher pH and
lower alcohol content of the oat beer. A wide range of
beer quality criteria were analysed. Major emphasis was
placed on the flavour and sensory evaluation of the oat
beer and the control beer. The flavour analysis of oat beer
revealed some special characteristics such as a strong
berry flavour and a better reaction towards staling, probably
due to the presence of more antioxidants. Oat consumption
is considered to be safe for most people who
suffer from celiac disease and could improve the diet of
these patients. Therefore, oats could play an important
role in the production of a non-gluten containing beer for
these patients. In addition, a beer of a different character
is likely to be brewed from oat malt and might in time
appeal to new consumers. This study has shown that it is
possible to brew a 100% oat malt beer without problems
and that the beer produced is comparable to barley malt
based beers.

%100 oat beer,,,,,, with the ABV kicked up by adding some belgian candy sugar to make up for the lower ABV..........sounds plausable to me.

By weight this would make sense. The flaked is sans-husk thus it should be more concentrated in soluble matter.

so then i'm not understanding something:

don't they say to use some flaked oats for a creamier, longer lasting head?

and then at the same time they say not to use any adjuncts with high proteins or lipids because that will destroy head retention?

don't they say to use some flaked oats for a creamier, longer lasting head?

and then at the same time they say not to use any adjuncts with high proteins or lipids because that will destroy head retention?

On topic: I don't have enough experience with using oats, but was thinking the same thing. I'm sure someone will chime in with a proper explanation. I'm thinking I've read more that it adds a creamy mouthfeel, which may not necessarily translate to increased head retention (ie...an oatmeal stout).

Off topic: Your post elicited memories from my childhood of Gary Larson's the Far Side comics. :)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437138090.855210.jpg

Gravity is still the same. I'll transfer it tonight.

On a side note. I'm drinking a Prarie Brett C. It's a Farmhouse/saison with cascade and citra and a touch of salt. Bottled with Brett C. The "green olive" flavor I described is ever so slightly present in this beer. So I'm not crazy! LoL

I'm really interested to hear how this concludes. It's a pretty ballsy project. I use oats fairly frequently and like the results, but this is a whole 'nuther level.

Also, when I clicked in to this I guessed it would take 5 posts for @IslandLizard to turn up. That guy is on threads about oats like a Quaker on... well...
(He made it in 7)

Nice! Thanks for the link and the (ongoing) experiment scubahound! I've wanted to make an all-oat malt beer since my issues with barley beer became clear, but the cross-contamination inevitable from a malthouse that also makes barley malt always held me back.

I wonder how much the reported lack of flavor is simply due to a lack of malthouse experience with the grain, and the fact that we're basically using a base malt by itself. You need to be a pretty good recipe formulator to get good flavor from a barley beer that only uses 2-row.

I wonder how much we could get back just by using Eckart specialty rice malts. I'm in the middle of my first experiments now with the stuff, but I've heard good things about their ability to replace crystal and roasted barley malts.

I wonder how much the reported lack of flavor is simply due to a lack of malthouse experience with the grain, and the fact that we're basically using a base malt by itself. You need to be a pretty good recipe formulator to get good flavor from a barley beer that only uses 2-row..

Ahem!.......
There are more than a few S.M.A.S.H. fans out there.
(Single Malt And Single Hop)
Plus a few classic styles can be done that way (with a single base malt used)
Marris Otter & Fuggles or EKG------British Bitter
Pilsner Malt and Saaz--------------Bohemian Pilzner
Meunic Malt and Hallertau---------Marzen/Octoberfest

Getting good beer from a single base malt is possible.

I wonder how much the reported lack of flavor is simply due to a lack of malthouse experience with the grain, and the fact that we're basically using a base malt by itself. You need to be a pretty good recipe formulator to get good flavor from a barley beer that only uses 2-row.

I'm not sure if it is lack of malthouse experience or lack of demand.

There is camel maltish version oats called golden naked oats.

I also thought about toasting my own malted oats but I didnt

Ahem!.......
There are more than a few S.M.A.S.H. fans out there.
(Single Malt And Single Hop)
Plus a few classic styles can be done that way (with a single base malt used)
Marris Otter & Fuggles or EKG------British Bitter
Pilsner Malt and Saaz--------------Bohemian Pilzner
Meunic Malt and Hallertau---------Marzen/Octoberfest

Getting good beer from a single base malt is possible.

Yup, I've done a few myself! I'm just saying that making a good SMASH is an easily fallible prospect - and that if it does fail, it would tend to be on the axis of having too little flavor.

With a recipe as novel as all-oat malt beer, that prospect looms large. So one of the first things I'd try is adding specialty grains.

scubahound

Well yes, lack of demand feeds into lack of experience. But I take your meaning, this might be a perfectly good base grain, there just isn't demand for specialty oat malts out there. Yet.

This thread is so long now it is hard to locate all the details. Can you purchase malted oats or is this experiment home malted?

Yes you can. My LHBS carries them. Apparently another guy and I are about the only ones who purchase them but they go through a bag every few months.

This thread is so long now it is hard to locate all the details. Can you purchase malted oats or is this experiment home malted?

I agree. There are a bunch of bored people posting irrelevant information in a Gluten Free Brewing post. Although my beer isnt technically 100% gluten free it does have merit being here.

Yes you can get this anywhere. If your LHBS doesnt have it, I am sure they would be more than happy to order it for you. Country Malt Group, a major grain supplier, carries it. It is made by Thomas Fawcett a well known maltster.

The moral of my story is that you can use 100% Malted oats. In my case I had no problems sparging because i did a step mash per my original post. if you do a single infusion you may have trouble sparging.

There is nothing mystical, crazy or ballzy about a 100% Malted oats beer when doing a step mash. Malted Oats are no big deal.

Go getch u sum and have fun with it!

I agree. There are a bunch of bored people posting irrelevant information in a Gluten Free Brewing post. Although my beer isnt technically 100% gluten free it does have merit being here.

Sorry we were killing time waiting to hear your results. No more goofing off, this is a serious issue! :off:

Had tried this but didn't post I got slimmed beer way to thick when I tried it. Hope yours is different

Awww....c`mon.......

I was hoping to hear more about these camal malts.
:cross:

Sorry if I missed the answer to this previously in the thread, but is the above statement implying that malted oats are not fully modified?

This might be of interest. According to the article, oat malt is somewhat poorly modified.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...05157E0B6DABBB.f01t01?v=1&t=icqvt9ib&866b3b04

EDIT: Strange, this link is suddenly not working for me, even though when I checked it before posting, it was fine. Well, it can be found by Googling "100% Oat Malt" and clicking the 4th link down. (The link whose URL begins with "onlinelibrary.wiley.com")

The results are in! it is pretty good Nelson and Brett C. do go well together.

It started at 1.059ish and finished at 1.000ish. So its about 8%

I don't know where to begin on a description of this beer. I would describe it as the color and flavor of a buttery Chardonnay, tropical fruit/peppery notes of a Pinot with a mild barn yard funk.

Oh and there was an insane amount of sediment! https://dyp.im/RSdKXsYDI5

I am not nearly man enough to try this (and also fine with gluten) but I love the taste of apples in oatmeal. If the 100% oat beer is bland or has off flavors, I could imagine a combination oat-cider making for an interesting gluten free approach. Depending on what the oat beer taste like, you could make it more of an apple beer or an oat cider.

Back