Using hop tea to increase bitterness in a finished beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnuUser

Reaction score
I've read several threads here (from as far back as 2008) discussing whether hop tea can successfully be used to add bitterness to a finished beer. I couldn't really get a good answer from any of them. Many suggested that it wasn't possible to add more than 5 IBUs to a 20-liter/5 gal from a 1-liter/quart hop tea addition. Some others suggested that it is possible, and one guy suggested that up to 40 IBUs could be added without significantly diluting the beer.

I'm posting this because I've just tried it and wanted to provide feedback for others. The answer is yes. A hop tea addition to a finished beer can substantially increase the bitterness of a finished beer without significantly diluting it. I estimate that you can add up to 15 IBUs to a 20-liter/5 gal with a 1-liter/quart hop tea addition.

I recently brewed a German lager with only 30g (a touch more than 1oz) of Hallertau Mittelfruh (3.2% AA) hops as an experiment to see if I could maximize the malt flavor of the beer. It worked, but the beer was almost sickeningly sweet. Online IBU calculators put the IBUs at about 12. I was considering throwing it out, but won't have a replacement for it for several weeks, so I decided to try to save it with a hop tea addition.

I had some extra Nelson Sauvin (11.2% AA) lying around that I wasn't going to use. It's not at all to style, but it was high AA and I had it, so I used it. I boiled 28g (1oz) of it in 2 liters of water (in a hop spider in a small saucepan) for 45 minutes. I drained it, strained it through some cheese cloth, and let it sit until cool. I tasted a tiny bit, and it was horribly bitter. The total volume of hop tea after boiling was 1.5 liters.

Considering how many people said that no more than 5 IBUs could be added to a 20-liter/5 gal. batch with a 1-liter/quart hop tea addition, I nearly dumped the whole thing into my beer, but I'm glad I didn't. I added half (0.75 liters/quarts), and it was almost too much. I have no way to test it so can't prove it, but I have little doubt that I've nearly doubled the IBUs in this beer from 12 to about 20-24. My best guess is that I added about 10 IBUs with my 0.75-liter/quart hop tea addition, which makes it about 13 IBUs per liter.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure how this is possible. Everything I've read says that the maximum IBUs in a given volume of water is 100 IBU. One liter of 100 IBU hop tea in a 20 liter batch of beer gives a 5 IBU increase. I got more than that... quite a bit more. I know because the last beer I brewed was the same recipe, but with 66% more hops (50g instead of 30g), giving me estimated IBUs of about 17. That beer was noticeably less bitter than this "fixed" one.

The beer was previously sickeningly sweet and undrinkable. It's now fixed and quite drinkable, although a bit more bitter than I was expecting. The hop tea was very hazy, so the beer is now a bit cloudy, but I suspect that will drop out over time. Also, the aroma of the Nelson Sauvin is quite noticeable and not to style, so if I was to do this again, I would use a style-appropriate variety of hops.

UPDATE: The beer has settled for a couple of days, and I'm now in the "max 5 IBUs per liter/quart per 20L/5 gal." camp. The sharpness and grassy-ness of the Nelson Sauvin has gone away, and the malt flavor has come back out, so it can't be over about 17 IBU. That would fit with the maximum of 100 IBUs in a given volume of water theory.

The good news is that it did work, and it's now a very good beer. So, you can make small IBU additions to a beer on the order of about 5 IBU without substantially diluting your beer.

one guy suggested that up to 40 IBUs could be added without significantly diluting the beer.
If that guy didn't mention the source of the technique, here's a lead that may produce similar results. The book Brewing Engineering discusses a process for making 'bittering tea'. Quote from book [p 202]: "Each [8 oz] jar holds enough bittering tea to add about 20 IBUs to a 5-gallon batch".

Another option.

Hop tincture, with high proof alcohol.

I use 3-5 g of hop pellets to 50 mL of grain alcohol. 3 hours extraction.

Just test it in a sample before, because 2 mL of that in a 600 mL bottle already makes some difference. I usually add at bottling, with a syringe. BTW the ABV goes higher too. But it will extract aroma as well.

Cheers!

I make no boil beers and getting 30IBU or more with a hop tea is not an issue. 25g of 10AA hops boiled for 30m in 1l of water will add 30IBU to 25l of wort.
Add more water if it needed when boiling. I normally add about 500ml.
IBUU.jpg

The 100 ibus limit is for wort, not for plain water.

In wort, proteins are present that inhibit the alpha acid to dissolve, these are not there in water so the potential ibus that can be solved are much higher. It can be easily calculated with the brewers friend calculator. Just type in 1.0 og and the final volume of your beer (which is tea plus beer volume).

I managed to overbitter a beer this way as I felt that I need to add more hops then calculated to compensate for something which does not need to be compensated for.

Well...that would probably work - but would only be worth the attempt using a dedicated coffee machine, because the oils stuck to a machine used for brewing coffee will undoubtedly make themselves known should one try using said machine for "brewing" hop water...

Cheers!

Sorry if already mentioned but I didn't read the whole of the first post.
Have a meeting in 5 mins for work so didn't have time but wanted to give my opinion anyway :p

If you don't want to dilute the beer with the hop tea why not boil the hops in some of the beer instead?

OP was asking about using hop teas to add bitterness. Using teas for flavors may (or may not) be different

If you don't want to dilute the beer with the hop tea ...

Quote from book [p 202]: "Each [8 oz] jar holds enough bittering tea to add about 20 IBUs to a 5-gallon batch".
Assuming the IBU numbers are correct in the technique I mentioned, adding 20 IBUs would 'dilute' the beer by about 1% (8 / 640).

Sorry if already mentioned but I didn't read the whole of the first post.
Have a meeting in 5 mins for work so didn't have time but wanted to give my opinion anyway :p

If you don't want to dilute the beer with the hop tea why not boil the hops in some of the beer instead?
Because you will get less extraction.

For a while I experimented with the no-boil brewing process and used hop tea to gain bitterness. No matter how much hops I put in I never got a satisfying bitterness or taste of beer so I wouldn’t recommend it.

I used hop tea just once, to add some bitterness to an otherwise insipid wheat beer.
Worked great and totally saved that beer, but I was only trying to get to say 20-something IBUs...

Cheers!

Back