to super-kleer or not to super-kleer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lex990

Reaction score
In short: Will my cider still bottle carb well after adding super-kleer?

The cider has been going for about a month and has lost a bit of his opaque look, but still far from even remotely clear. I warmed the honey to help it mix it in the beginning which results in an unclear cider from what I have read. I picked up a pack of the super-kleer at the lhbs last week and was going to rack over to another carboy to let it chill out for another month. So should I super-kleer to make sure I get a clear cider or wait? I want to bottle condition with cran-raspberry so I don't want to drop all the yeast out and have carbing issues.

1.079og
5gal apple juice
raw and brown sugar
700g honey

You could add a wee bit of yeast at bottling if you want to ensure a good carbonation. A very little bit- like 1/2 teaspoon or so- should be fine.

There will still be yeast in suspension even with totally clear cider. Its a common myth that yeast can be completely removed from cider/wine. With super clear stuff, it might take longer to Carb up but it will still Carb fine.

Back