so I have another quick question about my fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpine_guy100

Reaction score
I just switched my beer from my fermenting pale to my carboy, the instructions say to leave the leftover sediment in the pale, but I need to to use the pale again, do I leave the sediment in the pale or just dispose of it?

if it's just the junk on the bottom, all it is, is spent grains and hops, how there can be some good yeast to wash, if you want to get that out, look up "washing yeast"

Yeah. They just mean to not transfer the sediment to secondary. If some gets over, it's not a big deal. You're going to transfer again to either your bottling bucket or keg.

So it is normal for all the white stuff in the bitten.

Also how do you siphon without doing it by mouth.

The white stuff on the bottom is completely normal. It's mostly yeast that has clumped up and settled to the bottom. If you are going to brew the day that you transfer you can dump your new wort onto this white layer and the yeast you stir up will have that wort fermenting in just a few hours. You will have way more yeast than you need (called over pitching) but it won't hurt your beer much to do it that way. The next time you siphon though you will have twice a much stuff on the bottom.

Do a search for yeast washing and you will find out how to harvest this yeast so you can use it to start 4 new batches with it.

Back