Whirlfloc Tablet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhughes

Reaction score
I just brewed my first beer but I forgot to add this whirlfloc tablet that came with the brew kit. I think it's supposted to help the clarity of the beer but I was wandering if this affects the taste of the beer at all or if it's just for the look of the beer?

Just helps things precipitate out, will not alter flavor.

Whirlfloc is awesome. One tablet is enough for 10 gallons. Split it in half and save for your next batch!

Your beer wil be fine. The whirlfloc tablet helps with the clarity of your beer. It will not affect the taste. I have forgotten to add the whirlfloc once before, and its not a major deal. RDWHAHB!

Just give it time to settle, with enough time and crash cooling (Bringing the carboy down to around 38F) I can turn a Hefe into a crystal clear brew.
I just bought some whirlfloc and will use it when my Irish Moss is out.
Not to highjack the thread but, would this be OK to add into a Mead? I was under the impression that the Irish moss would add a seaweed flavor, is there any taste impact with whirlfloc on a very light drink like a dry mead?

Whirlfloc and irish moss need to be boiled in order to work properly. (At least I've never heard of it being used without boiling)

I'm not a mead maker, but I thought that boiling honey was a no-no in general?

It precipitates out protiens in the malt during the boil. It does have to be boiled to work, and some say that Irish Moss can leave a seaweed taste, but I have used it a lot, and have never noticed an off flavor. I imagine it would take a lot more than the 1tsp in 5 gallons to give any noticeable flavor, and that would have to be in a very light beer. And you don't boil honey.

Sorry to bring an old topic back, but I'm trying to find a way to have no sediment in my wine when I give it out as gifts. I do the sparkling wines, so I bottle after about 1.5 - 2 months. I find longer I let it sits, less sparkling it becomes.

Back