PID Auto-Tuning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to auto-tune my PID but have a couple questions....

Volume - At what volume should I run the auto-tune? I will be using the RIMS tube utilizing full volume BIAB. Obviously, each recipe will have different grain and water amounts. Is there a baseline?

Temperature - At which temperature should I run the auto-tune at?

Flow Rate - How do I determine the flow rate through the RIMS tube? I'm assuming that I don't want to auto-tune the PID at wide open since it will not be used free-flowing.

While tuning for a herms setup I had read in several different places you want to simulate your actual volumes for a batch. I would assume this is the same for you.

If you are monitoring RIMS temp at the RIMS tube output (which is my recommendation) then it doesn't matter how much water is in the mash tun. Temp should be at about 150F. Flow rate is the most important part and you want it to be about 1 quart per minute.

If you are monitoring RIMS temp at the RIMS tube output (which is my recommendation) then it doesn't matter how much water is in the mash tun. Temp should be at about 150F. Flow rate is the most important part and you want it to be about 1 quart per minute.

Yes, wort will enter at the heating element and return to the kettle passing the temp probe. Getting the flow rate Seema crucial.

Back