Neighbors calling the cops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor looks over the fence and says, "what are you making?" I'll say something like "a scottish" and he'll say, "are you going to caramelize the first gallon of runnings?"

He's been brewing for something like 10 years. He's a good neighbor to have. :)

Wow.. I never even considered the whole "people will think I'm cookin' Meth or something" angle. Luckily all of my neighbors hang out at my bar and drink my beers with me so it's never likely to be a problem.

My neighbor jokingly asked if I was making meth or beer when I first started brewing. Now he just wants to sample a glass.

Really the only shady looking things are carboys and the immersion chiller. Homebrewing in my state is legal so nothing to worry about.

Mine asked if I was making Meth also I just said "no, this is beer, the meth is in the basment."....

IIRC, there are only 3 states Homebrewing is still illeagal in to this day, Alabama, Utah, and Oklahoma.

edit to say it seems to be illegal but i am researching this to make sure.

hrrm interesting. im a law breaker. guess it isnt legal though i am researching this now.

Your neighbor is a coward if he calls the cops. If he or she has a problem with what you're doing, you should have the nuts to say something to you. That whole "he's not doing anything to harm me, but I still feel the need to insert myself in other people's business" pisses me off, and I assure you I'd not be dealing with that neighbor in the future.

... Unless you live in Utah! But then again, kegs are illegal outside a licensed club or tavern. I brew quite openly in my back yard, haven't had any trouble. But it would be interesting to see what law enforcement would do with the situation. I am not aware of any case in Utah where a homebrewer has been cited. But, I suppose it is possible.

Funny story. . I was in my local homebrew shop (in Utah), and as soon as I walked in I saw 2 cops, I was like oh god they're getting shut down.. After that they walked over and picked up some extract, some grains and a steeping bag. They were homebrewers!! The workers knew them so obviously it had been going on for a while. That should give you some idea of how strict it is here. But it's also a very legal shop, they are listed in the phonebook under beer brewing. I don't really understand it but hey, if they let me brew, I'm cool.

Funny story. . I was in my local homebrew shop (in Utah), and as soon as I walked in I saw 2 cops, I was like oh god they're getting shut down.. After that they walked over and picked up some extract, some grains and a steeping bag. They were homebrewers!! The workers knew them so obviously it had been going on for a while. That should give you some idea of how strict it is here. But it's also a very legal shop, they are listed in the phonebook under beer brewing. I don't really understand it but hey, if they let me brew, I'm cool.

Thats great. Were you at the Beer Nut or Arts? Both of those places have been around awhile and seem to do a decent business.

My set up is not big enough to move out of my basement right now. But my favorite is when you tell people you brew your own beer, they always say like oh in your bathtub? Or stuff like ouu used to drink moonshine in school. This really gets me going

Your neighbor is a coward if he calls the cops. If he or she has a problem with what you're doing, you should have the nuts to say something to you. That whole "he's not doing anything to harm me, but I still feel the need to insert myself in other people's business" pisses me off, and I assure you I'd not be dealing with that neighbor in the future.

:off: sorta off topic, but have a friend who noticed an American flag had blown off her neighbor's house and into the yard. She folded it up and left it on their front steps. Another neighbor saw her putting the flag on the ground and called the cops on her for "desecrating" the flag. The cops were cool and laughed about it with her, but it pisses me off that her neighbor didn't just come over and say something to her. For the record my friend's husband is active duty AF and deployed to the desert. :mad:
/rant

I go out of my way to let the neighbors know that I brew my own. Even have them saving their Sam Adams and Diamond bear bottles for me. :D

Your neighbor is a coward if he calls the cops. If he or she has a problem with what you're doing, you should have the nuts to say something to you.
I kinda disagree here. If I didn't have any relationship with my neighbors, and I suspected them of brewing meth or some other illicit activity, I'd be EXTREMELY hesitant to confront them about it personally. Those types of confrontations are best left to the police.

Yeah, gotta agree with Yuri on that one.

"Hey buddy, what are you doing with that anhydrous ammonia? What about all of those guns you have there? You're not doing anything illegal are you? I might have to report you to the cops."

Nothing good can come of that...

i read that article and i think the guy that wrote it is on crack...i think he was one of those bull **** journalists. but my uncle told me (he lives in bama) that u can brew in alabama u just cant buy equipement from homebrew stores. i dont know if he is correct but the law makes sense

I think your uncle might be wrong: http://www.beertown.org/statutes/alabama.htm

Alabama state statue § 28-1-1 prohibits the possession of illegally manufactured alcoholic beverages.

Discussion:
The state of Alabama has both Wet and Dry counties and municipalities. The state maintains a tight control on all alcoholic beverage sale, manufacture, possession, etc. No statutory exception to § 28-1-1 exists for the home production of beer. Furthermore, no statutory exception to § 28-1-1 exists for the home production of wine and/or cider.

Alabama case law illustrates a historical trend in which the court has held homebrew to be a prohibited liquor.

I kinda disagree here. If I didn't have any relationship with my neighbors, and I suspected them of brewing meth or some other illicit activity, I'd be EXTREMELY hesitant to confront them about it personally. Those types of confrontations are best left to the police.

agree. if people knew the kinda people cooks are you dont confront them. you call the cops and ensure you take a vacation for a week so you dont have to deal with the sweep possible shoot out and the hazmat traffic.

My story is a little different. 3 women moved in next door about 8 months ago. It turns out they are a lesbian couple and one of them has an 18 year old daughter that moved in with them. I had the brewing rig set up and was just getting going when the hotter blonde one of them looks over the fence and asks "what are you doing? I replied "making magic baby" and gave her a wink. he giggled and said, "can I have some of your magic?"

Well, it all got a LOT better from there... she runs around the front of the house and opens the gate, coming in with a sixer of DFH 90, a bottle of Glenlivet and a bottle of baby oil. She has an itty bitty bikini on, a super hot body and asks me to open a couple of beers and oil her up so she can get a tan.

Things start to get a bit hot and steamy, and we are getting a bit druck and there is oil everywhere (and I mean everywhere!) Suddenly "the Husband" rocks up" She's 5'8", brunette, 34DD and HAWT. She tackles me and says "NO ONE OILS UP MY BABY EXCEPT ME!" we wrestle for a while and the original hottie jumps on and wrestles with us.. the oil bottle breaks and everything gets very slippery..

Just then the 18 year old hottie daughter looks over the fence and says "OH MY GOD!! MOM! and MOM! what are you doing? He's MINE!!!"

So I wake up in a cold sweat, my dog is a bit distressed and wants to get out of the house and I wonder why I have wasted and entire tube of astro glide in my sleep.

Yeah, so it's a dream and doesn't involve cops, but it it's a LOT better read than the rest of this thread

My story is a little different. 3 women moved in next door about 8 months ago. It turns out they are a lesbian couple and one of them has an 18 year old daughter that moved in with them....

applause.gif

My story is a little different. 3 women moved in next door about 8 months ago. It turns out they are a lesbian couple and one of them has an 18 year old daughter that moved in with them. I had the brewing rig set up and was just getting going when the hotter blonde one of them looks over the fence and asks "what are you doing? I replied "making magic baby" and gave her a wink. he giggled and said, "can I have some of your magic?"

Well, it all got a LOT better from there... she runs around the front of the house and opens the gate, coming in with a sixer of DFH 90, a bottle of Glenlivet and a bottle of baby oil. She has an itty bitty bikini on, a super hot body and asks me to open a couple of beers and oil her up so she can get a tan.

Things start to get a bit hot and steamy, and we are getting a bit druck and there is oil everywhere (and I mean everywhere!) Suddenly "the Husband" rocks up" She's 5'8", brunette, 34DD and HAWT. She tackles me and says "NO ONE OILS UP MY BABY EXCEPT ME!" we wrestle for a while and the original hottie jumps on and wrestles with us.. the oil bottle breaks and everything gets very slippery..

Just then the 18 year old hottie daughter looks over the fence and says "OH MY GOD!! MOM! and MOM! what are you doing? He's MINE!!!"

So I wake up in a cold sweat, my dog is a bit distressed and wants to get out of the house and I wonder why I have wasted and entire tube of astro glide in my sleep.

Yeah, so it's a dream and doesn't involve cops, but it it's a LOT better read than the rest of this thread

Best post EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ban::ban::ban::ban:

I agree. I lived in an apartment once where the guy below me thought I was too loud when I used my elliptical machine and complained to the landlord.

In the end it worked out. I left and bought a condo, but it was stressful at the time.

I think yall are taking Kevin Deans comment out of context. I think he was refering more towards the homebrew aspect. Petty crimes etc. Im not going to be a d!ck and call animal control because my neighbors dog keeps comming in my yard. Ill call em up first and say, he man your dog keeps comming in my yard and hes pissing on my plants can you keep him off my yard please? Then if they don't abide you say ok time for doggie police.
I think its pretty obvious your not gonna roll up to your standard meth lab and ask them nicely to stop. If you think someone is brewing meth in their front yard walk up "Hey hows it goin neighbor what ya makin here." While they are telling you take a look/smell. Meth dosent smell like the 5th annual cookout ;) Then you leave and call the cops if theres some nastys getting mixed up.

When I first moved into my apartment I had all my brewing equipment all laid out. pots and hoses, flasks, carboys, coil chiller and of course (3)4lb bags of Dextrose. So with all of this laid out, my toilet broke. So the landlord comes over. Looks at all the stuff laid out and walks to the bathroom. So he is going in and out a few times getting different tools and supplys. I was "sleeping" on the couch, and see him looking all this stuff over. Even picked up the wort chiller and smelled the end looking for alcohol I guess, maybe meth. So finally when he is leaving I thank him for coming over with a 6 of homebrew stout. Apparently, thats when it all clicked. He says "oh you make you own beer"
"yeah"
he says "is that what all that stuff is for"
"yeah"
he says "ok good, wasnt sure if you had a still going, or you were making meth or coke or something, I saw all the white bags and didnt know what to do"

So all in all he asks what I have going every time he comes over and I give him a few to take home.

Haven't brewed outside yet, but plan to this summer (if I ever get my house remodeling done!!) Don't socialize with the neighbors, but I can see them calling the cops on it. Of course I'm the typical American Dad with the typical American Family, so I'm not sure what they think they will find.

Plus, since I never do anything illegal (.....) I defy the authorities to come over and chat.

Dang, I REALLY need to have a brew day soon. Next weekend I'm going upstate... Weekend after that... dang...

All the neighbors in the front of my house drink my beer...

I had an "Iron Brewer" competition in my back yard last month with 10 teams brewing. I was surprised that the neighbors behind me did not call the cops.

So I was wondering if anyone has actually had the neighbors call the cops on them for brewing. My parents were quite worried about it the other day when they came home and saw what my brewing set up looks like. They were worried people might think I was distilling or cooking meth. Especially because of the copper coil lol. So has anyone actually had the cops called on them?

Just this last weekend i was finishing up cleaning some stuff from the brew day around 10:00 in the evening in the garage which sits to the side and back of my house off of the street. A lovely middle american family with a dog and 3 children walked by and i happened to look up in time to see the woman stop take a step back so she could get a better view into the garage and then slowly keep walking.

So I sat on the porch with a beer and waited fully expecting the police to show up but they never did. Im sure with the blue hairs in my neighborhood the cops are going to show up sooner or later.

Dear Penthouse forum.
I'm a student at a small mid-western university.

I swear that's the first thing I thought of by the time I got to the 3rd paragraph.

Well done sir:D

I think yall are taking Kevin Deans comment out of context. I think he was refering more towards the homebrew aspect. Petty crimes etc. Im not going to be a d!ck and call animal control because my neighbors dog keeps comming in my yard. Ill call em up first and say, he man your dog keeps comming in my yard and hes pissing on my plants can you keep him off my yard please?

That's essentially what I mean. Though, to frame it a bit better, I support the relegalization of all drugs but I didn't wanna toss that out and confuse my point. I simply prefer to let people alone if they're not hurting me, defend myself if they are, and talk to the person if I'm having a problem with them.

i grew some green happpiness in my backyard. I am a gardener and like to see things grow-no, i didn't shoot the sheriff, but dated one of the 8 cops in this little piss towns sister. Nobody said a word.And they knew everything.

Scumbag flippers buy the house next door, get looking into my yard and start
asking too many questions. One sentence and they got on board real quick.

Do You have permits?

Never asked anything again, and gave me a LOT of beer.

Back