Conditioning storage ideas!??!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jublydan

Reaction score
Hey, I just bottled my beer, and now need a place to store it for a week to condition. Everything I see says to store it around 55 degrees...I dont really know of a good place at my place to do that, it's getting warm in Memphis, and can't guarantee that the garage will stay under 65...The refrigerator is too cold...the house is kept at about 68...might be able to find a cold room that stays at 64ish...any ideas?

If you made an ale and are naturally carbonating, then 55 is too cool anyways. Bottle condition (carbonate) at ale fermenting temperatures (65-75). Even lagers should bottle carbonate at ale temps. Ideally, you would long term store your beer at cellar temps (55) but that would be after the beer is fully carbonated. However, most of us drink our beer fast enough that long term storage isn't an issue.

55 degrees is too cool if it needs carbonating. 68 is good. 55 might be where you'd keep it after it carbonated.

Hey, I just bottled my beer, and now need a place to store it for a week to condition. Everything I see says to store it around 55 degrees...I dont really know of a good place at my place to do that, it's getting warm in Memphis, and can't guarantee that the garage will stay under 65...The refrigerator is too cold...the house is kept at about 68...might be able to find a cold room that stays at 64ish...any ideas?

Where are you seeing 55 degrees to carb and condition your beer? That's not going to let your beers carb for a long time. That's nearly yeast dormancy temp...they won't be doing any work for you.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

As to storage, I use milk crates which stack and each can hold one case of beers.

181316_10150091021744067_620469066_6196013_3815685_n.jpg

I keep them in the warmest place I can find. I have a few at my girlfriend's in here basement next to here furnace in a little dark corner.

Some folks use office file cabinets to store in.

cabinet2.jpg

I agree with Revvy. Let them sit at 70 degrees for minimum of 3 weeks

Hilarious. Reminds me of something we had at one of my previous jobs we liked to call "the Jameson file." When the boss was too much to take, someone would ask a colleague to go get the Jameson file, and we would review it for awhile.

Thank ya'll so much! I read the 55 degree thing in my instructions that came with the beer kit, oh well....

P.S.
I want a filing cabinet full of beer more than you know...

Back