DC Area Group Buy #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take some of that smoked wheat before it's gone too:

5# smoked wheat

I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet though. Anyone have any good ideas?

Ive started a monster!!!!!

below is what i intend to do it.

if we oversubscribe on the wheat you can back me down to 15, but thats as low as i go. the reality is, everyone will brew this beer, and well have 2-3 bags a year going through the buy! which is great.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/04/notes-on-a-brewday-weyermann-g/

Sorry....no need to back yours down. I brain farted and thought we were still trying to close #7 and thought I would grab it up.

If it works out that there are a few lbs left I would be happy to take it for a beer I have on deck. If not I can wait for the next round......unless we have 2 sacks to split this round since it just started :)

Here's my yeast reuse process:
I buy a vial of yeast, make a starter and make a beer. After kegging I dump some of the yeast cake into a mason jar and put it in the fridge for later. I dump some of the yeast cake down the sink if there's still too much in the carboy. Then I put fresh wort on the remaining yeast cake. I make about 10 batches altogether (sometimes less if I tire of that strain), dumping out some of the excess yeast each time. After the last batch I clean the carboy thoroughly so it's ready for the next series. When I'm ready to start a new series, I grab my harvested yeast from the first batch out of the fridge, make a starter and repeat the process. If I don't get around to using the harvested yeast within 8-12 months or so, I will decant the old beer and put some fresh wort in the jar. By harvesting from the first batch of each series, I can squeeze the maximum number of batches out of one vial before I feel like I'm pushing the generational limits and buy new yeast. I don't think I've ever bought the same yeast twice.

I'll take some of that smoked wheat before it's gone too:

5# smoked wheat

I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet though. Anyone have any good ideas?

You got 5# of smoked wheat.

Correction:
Sorry....no need to back yours down. I brain farted and thought we were still trying to close #7 and thought I would grab it up.

If it works out that there are a few lbs left I would be happy to take it for a beer I have on deck. If not I can wait for the next round......unless we have 2 sacks to split this round since it just started :)

You got the last 5#. Smoked wheat got eh... smoked.

I buy a vial of yeast, make a starter and make a beer. After kegging I dump some of the yeast cake into a mason jar and put it in the fridge for later. I dump some of the yeast cake down the sink if there's still too much in the carboy. Then I put fresh wort on the remaining yeast cake. I make about 10 batches altogether (sometimes less if I tire of that strain), dumping out some of the excess yeast each time. After the last batch I clean the carboy thoroughly so it's ready for the next series. When I'm ready to start a new series, I grab my harvested yeast from the first batch out of the fridge, make a starter and repeat the process. If I don't get around to using the harvested yeast within 8-12 months or so, I will decant the old beer and put some fresh wort in the jar. By harvesting from the first batch of each series, I can squeeze the maximum number of batches out of one vial before I feel like I'm pushing the generational limits and buy new yeast. I don't think I've ever bought the same yeast twice.

Great process!

Ive started a monster!!!!!

below is what i intend to do it.

if we oversubscribe on the wheat you can back me down to 15, but thats as low as i go. the reality is, everyone will brew this beer, and well have 2-3 bags a year going through the buy! which is great.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/04/notes-on-a-brewday-weyermann-g/

This sounds interesting. Now I wish I had gotten more, but I think it might be spoken for. I don't have the new link yet, so I'm not sure.

Edited to add that I see it is spoken for--didn't make it to the bottom of the page before posting.

I'll jump on 10 lbs of the Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1016 split.
There seems enough interest and I made a great Smoked English Pale using the Copper Fox smoked malts sold at the 3 Stars Brewshop, I'll open a 2nd Smoked Wheat split: Weyermann® Oak Smoked Wheat 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1074. I'll take 10 lbs.

I'll have more bags to order as we move into early April, and when I have more time to inventory what I have and what I'll need. Might be a quick turn on this order!
Prepping a 10 gallon Ginger Saison and 10 gallon Citra IPA brew on Friday for inaugrual March Madness/4th Anniversay of Brewing Day.

Hell, put me down for 5# of the Smoked Wheat too. I am brewing "outside the box" lately, anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

2 x RAH1001 Rahr Standard 6-Row 50 lb

Added.

There seems enough interest and I made a great Smoked English Pale using the Copper Fox smoked malts sold at the 3 Stars Brewshop, I'll open a 2nd Smoked Wheat split: Weyermann® Oak Smoked Wheat 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1074. I'll take 10 lbs.

I'll have more bags to order as we move into early April, and when I have more time to inventory what I have and what I'll need. Might be a quick turn on this order!
Prepping a 10 gallon Ginger Saison and 10 gallon Citra IPA brew on Friday for inaugrual March Madness/4th Anniversay of Brewing Day.

Added 10# Vienna + 10# of your own split of Smoked Wheat

Ginger Saison sounds nice!

Hell, put me down for 5# of the Smoked Wheat too. I am brewing "outside the box" lately, anyway.

Added.

This sounds interesting. Now I wish I had gotten more, but I think it might be spoken for. I don't have the new link yet, so I'm not sure.

Edited to add that I see it is spoken for--didn't make it to the bottom of the page before posting.

atjsparty just opened a second smoked wheat split. Here's your chance to add some.

fwiw, I have moved to the method of making a larger starter than necessary from the vial, and saving some of the starter to kick off future runs, but other than that I'm with you on this process and can attest to its freakin awesomeness! :ban: :mug:

I'll take 5# of the new smoked wheat split!

Excellent workflow, great suggestions!
I never did, but I really like the ease of not having to clean the carboy in between batches. With good sanitation practices there really is no reason the risk of infections increases. :rockin:

Most recommendations for reusing yeast advice us to limit it to 4 generations, and not after a high gravity one. This to prevent significant changes in character through inherent yeast mutations. Now we all know what commercial breweries do, so it may all just be a fairy tale, or something to do with homebrew vs. commercial scale. Also NOT stressing the yeast from the get go will help to keep the population happy, and maybe that's where we can get more reuse out of a single batch, and keep regenerating. Interesting.

fwiw, I have moved to the method of making a larger starter than necessary from the vial, and saving some of the starter to kick off future runs, but other than that I'm with you on this process and can attest to its freakin awesomeness! :ban: :mug:

I've read about that being the preferred method as you can keep first generation yeast in stock, virtually forever. Each time you make a starter you store part of it. I've been doing that. It does take up a lot of fridge space with all those half pint jars though. Not into freezing yet.

We put you on for 5# earlier, that was the intention, right?
There is now a 2nd split of smoked wheat (atjsparty) so you can add more. According to claphamsa the smoke is light so you need to use a fairly large amount depending on the desired effect, and as much as 80-100% in some recipes.

I'll take 10 lbs of the smoked wheat too. I want to try one of those 100% smoked wheat beers.

I don't often make high gravity beers, but if I do, I plan for it to be the last of a series. I had thought about making big starters and harvesting that, but a starter is a new generation anyway, so I might as well get beer out of it. I try not to use too much hops in that first one.

When I started brewing I only went 4 generations, then got lazy and tried more without problems. I only had one yeast get funny on me, that was S-04 and I think it was way past 10 generations, I'm pretty lazy and don't take notes. That beer was drinkable, but the fruity wine flavors you can get from that yeast were intensified. I'm not really a fan of that strain anyway. I've never had a problem with any other strains.

I will take 10lbs of the smoked if it's available.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Added 10#. You are getting 15# in total, this buy. Is that correct?

I'll take 10 lbs of the smoked wheat too. I want to try one of those 100% smoked wheat beers. [...]

Added.
We should have a smoked wheat party some day. Compare our brews, that is. :mug:

We put you on for 5# earlier, that was the intention, right?
There is now a 2nd split of smoked wheat (atjsparty) so you can add more. According to claphamsa the smoke is light so you need to use a fairly large amount depending on the desired effect, and as much as 80-100% in some recipes.

Looks like I need to bump my share of this smoking deal to 10# (split between two splits I guess). I only want a slight smokey flavor but if it's so subtle....

Looks like I need to bump my share of this smoking deal to 10# (split between two splits I guess). I only want a slight smokey flavor but if it's so subtle....

Excellent choice!

I've consolidated and reappropriated some of the smoked wheat splits so we limit the number of double splits.

5# left on the smoked wheat!

That peat malt used in your porter is very strong. To use this smoked wheat in that recipe, you'll have to sub out some of the base malt for smoked. 3 oz won't register. I wonder how diastatic that stuff is?

Actually, I'll take that last 5# and do the smoked porter too. I bet that beer would be incredible on nitro!

That peat malt used in your porter is very strong. To use this smoked wheat in that recipe, you'll have to sub out some of the base malt for smoked. 3 oz won't register. I wonder how diastatic that stuff is?

Actually, I'll take that last 5# and do the smoked porter too. I bet that beer would be incredible on nitro!

You got the last 5#. 2nd split of smoked wheat is closed.

I do the big starter with fresh yeast and save half of it for the next brew, at which time I split it in half again. Less to store, no hop or break in the yeast, and easy as it is part of the process.

I also add a little more grain to the mash tun each time, and after I drain, add a gallon or so of water. Right before I get ready to clean it (during the boil), I drain it into a gallon jug. This gives me all the wort I need for the next starter. I like doing things "in process" so there are no additional steps I have to do outside the brew prep or brew day. Also keeps me from forgetting something and then needing to run to the LHBS in the 11th hour in a panic. Though, I am sure I am the only one that ever has that happen to him...

I think most of the issues with yeast come with scale. Yeast in a giant conical are under huge stress from all the weight on top of them and whatnot. We don't see those issues brewing 5-10 gallons at a time. I have used the same yeast for over 3 years and not detected any change in character. YMMV...

I do the big starter with fresh yeast and save half of it for the next brew, at which time I split it in half again. Less to store, no hop or break in the yeast, and easy as it is part of the process.

I also add a little more grain to the mash tun each time, and after I drain, add a gallon or so of water. Right before I get ready to clean it (during the boil), I drain it into a gallon jug. This gives me all the wort I need for the next starter. I like doing things "in process" so there are no additional steps I have to do outside the brew prep or brew day. Also keeps me from forgetting something and then needing to run to the LHBS in the 11th hour in a panic. Though, I am sure I am the only one that ever has that happen to him...

I think most of the issues with yeast come with scale. Yeast in a giant conical are under huge stress from all the weight on top of them and whatnot. We don't see those issues brewing 5-10 gallons at a time. I have used the same yeast for over 3 years and not detected any change in character. YMMV...

While we're happily :off: -
1. How many yeast strains do you keep that way and what are they?
2. How long do you keep them?
3. Do you at all care about the OG of your runnings that you use as starter?
4. Would you also use this strategy for yeast blends like WLP080 Cream Ale and WLP060 American Ale?

:mug:

Need link for new spread sheet. Also, what is everyone using aciduated malt for? Will try #5 lbs of the smoked wheat and at least #10 of PBW.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am using it to play with the Gose style...Helps sour up the brew. But I am only brewing my first Gose, so this is still new to me.

1. How many yeast strains do you keep that way and what are they?

In the fridge right now I have: Kolsch, Pacman, Forbidden Fruit, WLP550 Belgian Ale, Bock Lager, and S-04.
The Belgian and the Bock I haven't maintained and they'll probably get thrown out. I don't really like S-04 and will probably get rid of that too.

2. How long do you keep them?

Years. If you don't use them, it's good to swap out the spent beer for fresh wort each 6 months or so, but they should be good for a long time.

3. Do you at all care about the OG of your runnings that you use as starter?

I don't really care that much, but most of my beers are in the 1.050-1.070 range. I collect a little extra runnings too, but I take my starter wort from the entire pre-boiled batch, not the low gravity final runnings. I'll add a little water to the higher gravity wort sometimes. Like I said, I'm very lazy.

4. Would you also use this strategy for yeast blends like WLP080 Cream Ale and WLP060 American Ale?

I haven't used those particular blends, but I have batches going on Roeselare, ECY Flemish blend, and ECY Bugfarm that I will harvest and store at some point. I also ordered 2 blends from The Yeast Bay (should arrive today) that I plan to harvest too. I'm sure harvested blends don't have the same proportions as when you get them fresh, but maybe that's a good thing? Can't hurt to try. Especially with the sour blends, some aspects might get more intense, but that's part of the fun.

I keep WLP001, WLP002, WLP007, a Kolsch yeast, S05, and a couple more ( forgetful ). Keep them for years. Feed them 1-2 times a year then put them back to sleep. 1.040 is my target for starter fluid. Never used either strain.

</off topic>

I would like to open a new split:

GAM1051: Gambrinus Honey 25 kg (55 lb)

I will take 10#.

Thanks,

-Mike

I picked up a 75# postage scale (been eyeing one since last buy, at it will keep me from having to do multiple weighs for my batches). I hope it comes in handy on Saturday.

Speaking about Saturday, what time is the 'crew' showing up to start working on things? Do we have people with tables lined up? If not, I might grab one real quick from HD, on the way down.

Back