Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you got me thinking I it's possible. I know the bucket can hold the pressure now to the experimenting phase

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Now you got me thinking I it's possible. I know the bucket can hold the pressure now to the experimenting phase

Seems like it could work, a person would need a couple posts from a corny and some rubber seals, and a drill bit to cut holes in the lid. It could be dispensed from a spigot on the bottom though, then you would only need a gas inlet on the top. Hell if it did work, you could dispense from the same vessel you fermented in, no need to rack!

If you could get a good seal to keep the pressure up I don't see why it wouldn't work

You will never keep the lid on. What is the diameter of the lid, about 10 inches. At they the area is pi*5^2. So about 78 square inches. At 10 lb that would be 780 lb the lid would have to hold.

Ok, so we need to re-engineer the lid holding to include a piece of sheet metal and some sort of way of tying it down. Actually not hard at all. I have a few ideas in mind.

(not that I will act on any of them since I have plenty of kegs)

Ok, so we need to re-engineer the lid holding to include a piece of sheet metal and some sort of way of tying it down. Actually not hard at all. I have a few ideas in mind.

Or a metal brace that wraps around the homer bucket to keep the lid on. Or you could always just serve it cask style. Its the HomerCask Patent Pending.

I went to a good craft beer bar/restaurant in Evanston IL last night with my wife. They had a beer on the menu that was called Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I was unfamiliar with it so I asked the bartender what style of beer it was. She replied that it was aged in barrels but it wasn't heavy and strong like a stout because it's an ale.

I heard great things about that beer for a while, so I finally picked one up and tried it. Maybe it was a bad bottle or something, but the bourbon flavor was way too strong, like a tall, cold, bubbly glass of Jack, no subtlety about it. I guess some people would be into it, but I won't be buying another.

I heard great things about that beer for a while, so I finally picked one up and tried it. Maybe it was a bad bottle or something, but the bourbon flavor was way too strong, like a tall, cold, bubbly glass of Jack, no subtlety about it. I guess some people would be into it, but I won't be buying another.

That was my sentiments exactly! It was like a descent beer with a shot of bourbon.

Its better off the tap than it is from the bottle...

Nothing a little duct tape couldn't handle.

If duct tape can hold a car to a light post it is perfect for the first prototype! :rockin:

You will never keep the lid on. What is the diameter of the lid, about 10 inches. At they the area is pi*5^2. So about 78 square inches. At 10 lb that would be 780 lb the lid would have to hold.

So go get 1000 lbs of concrete blocks and set it on top. Easy Peasy.

:fro:

That's exactly what it's supposed to taste like! The best of both worlds. It's also pretty strong.

That's exactly what it's supposed to taste like! The best of both worlds. It's also pretty strong.

Has anyone seen the new Miller Fortune beer? It showed up around here a couple of weeks ago, on special at the stores for $10.99 a 12-pack. It's 6.9% ABV, and supposedly it's aimed at 'millenials' who have abandoned beer for distilled spirits. In fact, Miller supposedly wants bartenders to serve the bottles with a rocks glass instead of a beer glass....

That has led to claims that it's bourbon-flavored in the press. I bought a 12-pack this week, and it doesn't taste at all like bourbon. I might like it better if it did; it tastes like crap.

But I like the bottles. I'm a sucker for oddball shapes, especially if they're black - and the caps aren't twist-off. So I may buy one more 12-pack; that'll give me a case of empties to use.

My buddy bought some a few days ago. I agree. Tastes like crap. Same bland yuck BMC type flavor they all have.

They have plastic casks here, with auto pressure release if it's over10 psi.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Home Brew mobile app

Ah, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I had the privilege of getting to drink some of that before it was available on the market. It was many years ago when I was still a professional musician. I was doing a gig with the Kentucky Head Hunters and there was a keg of that for the bands and our crews to drink. A rep for the company was asking us all what we thought. I think that batch was a bit stronger than what they sell now. And the bourbon smell and flavor would knock you down. Still, it was the best beer there. So we drank the hell out of it. I bought a sixer of it about a year ago. It didn't taste as good as I remembered from that night. But as it was mentioned earlier, it apparently is better on tap than from a bottle. The thing to remember, it is a very bourbon forward beer. Be ready for plenty of bourbon in the nose and mouth. It doesn't try to be subtle.

Finally overheard one worthy of this thread tonight.

Was at a local bistro that tries to claim itself as a 'craft beer bar' (the first time I was in there, the only bottle in their cooler that wasn't a BMC product was Shiner Bock). A month ago, they hosted a beer tasting with a 'local' microbrewery, Okoboji Brewing Company.

Tonight, they had a live band playing, so I went up (second time in the place) with a buddy. They had a few cans of 'Boji Beach', OBC's rye ale. 5% abv, 23 IBU's. And they had one small growler of OBC's IPA left that they were pouring samples of yet. (as to be expected, a month after the tasting event, it was as flat as tap water, and I'm guessing the hop flavor had started to diminish a touch)

Anyway, a friend of the group I was with walked in, and one of the guys passed him a glass of the rye ale to sample. Guy takes a swig, talking about how dark it is (huh?), looks at it, takes another pull, and passes the glass back. Thinks for a moment, and says "Kind of like Leinenkugel's". Now, I don't drink enough Leiny's to know any better, but I was kind of doubting the guy to start with. And then he follows with...

"Reminds me of Summer Shandy"

Wut?

Summer Shandy is pretty much the only Leiny's beer I'll drink -- it's what I typically take to a cookout where I want to share a craft (or craft-style) beer that the typical BMC drinker might actually try. And nowhere, ever, has it reminded me of a rye ale.

I didn't "overhear" this, but saw this box at my bottle shop. Hahahahahahaha
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393759977.793460.jpg

Last weekend I was at a small conference on the Georgia coast. On my arrival there I had met Robert, the beverage manager at the conference center as we had donated coffee for the conference. On Friday I learned that 2 kegs of beer from Three Taverns Brewing were going to be served before dinner. I looked up TT as I was not yet aware of them and was intrigued to learn that they focus on Belgian styles using American ingredients. I was able to sample 2 cups ( I guess about 12 ounces each) of 'Single Intent' .. light enough to satisfy a typical American taste but clearly unique and bolder in its flavor profile. I liked it! On Saturday I asked Robert if he had sampled the beer ... beverage manager, you know,perhaps wanting to one day steer this center away from a cellar of only BMC' s with the occasional Heine sticking its green neck up. His reply??? "Meh - it's just a craft beer."

Finally overheard one worthy of this thread tonight.

Was at a local bistro that tries to claim itself as a 'craft beer bar' (the first time I was in there, the only bottle in their cooler that wasn't a BMC product was Shiner Bock). A month ago, they hosted a beer tasting with a 'local' microbrewery, Okoboji Brewing Company.

Tonight, they had a live band playing, so I went up (second time in the place) with a buddy. They had a few cans of 'Boji Beach', OBC's rye ale. 5% abv, 23 IBU's. And they had one small growler of OBC's IPA left that they were pouring samples of yet. (as to be expected, a month after the tasting event, it was as flat as tap water, and I'm guessing the hop flavor had started to diminish a touch)

Anyway, a friend of the group I was with walked in, and one of the guys passed him a glass of the rye ale to sample. Guy takes a swig, talking about how dark it is (huh?), looks at it, takes another pull, and passes the glass back. Thinks for a moment, and says "Kind of like Leinenkugel's". Now, I don't drink enough Leiny's to know any better, but I was kind of doubting the guy to start with. And then he follows with...

"Reminds me of Summer Shandy"

Wut?

Summer Shandy is pretty much the only Leiny's beer I'll drink -- it's what I typically take to a cookout where I want to share a craft (or craft-style) beer that the typical BMC drinker might actually try. And nowhere, ever, has it reminded me of a rye ale.
OBC is going through the changes right now. I'm kinda excited to see how they change.

OBC is going through the changes right now. I'm kinda excited to see how they change.
They had a homebrew event at their pub last night, sampling and all. I kind of wanted to make the drive up there for that, but roads around here didn't look like they were going to be exactly favorable. (As it turns out, probably would have been fine - my best friend and drinking buddy also is the lead driver for the state's night snowplow crew in this area, he was out from 6:30-9:00 last night, said on a 20 mile stretch of road he only put his blade down four times).

They had a homebrew event at their pub last night, sampling and all. I kind of wanted to make the drive up there for that, but roads around here didn't look like they were going to be exactly favorable. (As it turns out, probably would have been fine - my best friend and drinking buddy also is the lead driver for the state's night snowplow crew in this area, he was out from 6:30-9:00 last night, said on a 20 mile stretch of road he only put his blade down four times).

how long of a drive is it for you? it's only about 40-45 minutes for us. we should meet up sometime & have a brew or two & exchange home brews.

how long of a drive is it for you? it's only about 40-45 minutes for us. we should meet up sometime & have a brew or two & exchange home brews.
I'm about an hour fifteen to an hour and a half south - agreed, might have to arrange a meet up sometime. Maybe when the scenery on the lake improves a bit!

I was listen to an old Sunday session today on my way home from work and heard this, blows my mind what will get rapped about now adays grant it is from a few years ago but thought it was funny tho
[ame]http://youtu.be/MlytV66OI4o[/ame]

I was listen to an old Sunday session today on my way home from work and heard this, blows my mind what will get rapped about now adays grant it is from a few years ago but thought it was funny tho
http://youtu.be/MlytV66OI4o

I enjoy rap, but thats just terrible haha. I do remember when the true fourlokos came out and you could seriously get smashed off of two of them. $5 to get wasted, you cant beat that.

I enjoy rap, but thats just terrible haha. I do remember when the true fourlokos came out and you could seriously get smashed off of two of them. $5 to get wasted, you cant beat that.

Haha I remember trying to finish 3 one night shortly after it hit shelves. Didn't even finish the second one before a lazy-boy did me in :drunk:

Saw this at a bar the other day. Pretty sure all beers are undistilled?

I'm sure someone will show up with a "well actually..." on that one.

It's part of Miller's branding for Fortune. They're trying to market the higher ABV as something to be served a few ounces at a time in a rocks glass. Because, y'know, 6.9% is a sippy drink :D

Latest posts

Back