Marzen Question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoDudeBrew

Reaction score
New to the board and only a couple months into brewing so here's my question. We brewed up a batch of Marzen,(all grain) through the yeast no action yet. Should I be worried?? It's been two days no happy bubbles. The IPA we brewed up at the same time is going just fine. Could the yeast be bad or do I need to just wait longer?? It is 68 degrees where the carboys are at. Any suggestions welcome.

I seem to be answering this one a lot today...

Well actually bubbling in the airlock is not a true indicator of fermentation, the hydrometer is...So in a sense the question is moot....The airlock is outgassing oxygen initially and more importantly co2 (which is of course a byproduct of fermentation), but there are a lot of variables that come into play in terms of the airlock bubbling...You could have for example and bad seal between the grommet (or stopper) and the airlock, or the lid on the bucket isn't fully tight and gas is getting out elsewhere besides the airlock, or the stopper and mouth of the carboy and that would appear slow, while fermentaion is actually occuring rapidly... Or the little bubbler in the airlock could be sitting a little crooked, or become weighted down with tiny co2 bubbles and need to build up a good head of gas before blurping again.

Even having the airlock leaning slightly askew affects it. half my beers have almost no airlock activity.

So as you can see airlock activity varies, and should not be used a a sign of speed or lack of fermentation.

Get outta the habit of thinking that airlock activity means anything..it is a vent and nothing more to keep the lid/stopper from blowing off your fermenter and painting your ceiling....it is a cheap piece of plastic and not a precision instrument...so don't treat it like that...

You know what is the TRUE indicator of fermentation, don't you, the only accurate measure? :D

hotchick1.jpg

Before you contemplate repitching or anything make sure there's a problem...read this before you do or contemplate anything.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Back