The taste of 2 day fermented beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
Just made a sugar addition 2 days into fermentation and tasted a little of the beer left over in my test tube. It's a strong brown ale. And it taste like fizzy beer with a real sour finish. Is this pretty typical? Also the light colored yeasty foam on top of the beer has gone down and is now dark brown. Normal as well?

I never worry about, or even really judge the tastes of my beers till they have been AT LEAST 3 weeks in the bottle....or up to 6 or so....

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

It's really hard to judge whether something is truly an off flavor, or is just green, until you pass a window of greenness. And that's usually based on the gravity/abv of the beer.... my belgian strong dark tasted like rocket fuel for 3 months, and is now perfect...and strong.

And I've even had most off flavors dissappear with time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Your beer has a huge journey to go and will change over time....heck 90% of my beers are 2 months minimum from grain to glass...1 month in primary and 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning...I don't even bother to taste my beer samples until bottling day...and I don't "judge" or stress out about even then...it won't taste the same at the end of the journey.....

Relax. :mug:

LEAVE IT ALONE! The yeast havent had nearly enough time to do their job yet. Let them do their job and you will be nicely rewarded :)
-Me

I agree completely. Just had my last bottle of Belgian Golden Ale last night, it's been about 3 months since bottling it. I didn't really like it all that much but this last bottle was much much better.

Lesson learned — bottle it up, get it into the pantry, and onto the next homebrew!

My first two beers were just plain nasty tasting after a few weeks in primary. Very sour/astringent tasting. The first one has now been in bottle 3 weeks and has no resemblence to the taste at 2 weeks old. Remember, you're drinking warm uncarbonated beer. Even the best beers in the world taste nasty warm and uncarbonated.

I now trust the guys on this board when the say: RDWHAHB!

Yep, RDWHAHB. Take it from a worrywort.

I think I asked about the taste of my hydro samples to this board for my first three or four batches. Those batches all turned out great.

Latest posts

Back