Don't tell non-brewers to bring beer to a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my take:

There could be two different situations. Either the party was designed to bring a bunch of people together for game night over a couple cold ones...

OR

The party was designed to introduce the party-goers to different exotic and expensive beers.

I don't believe that it's possible to have a casual game-day party that has a focus on fine beers. If it's the first situation, then the OP shouldn't be complaining about the beers his friends brought. If it's the second situation though, it sounds like his friends don't understand what good beer is...

Love my friends but they drink what they drink.
I'll drink most anything.

But, if you invite someone and tell then to bring beer...most people will bring what they drink.
You and I might bring something “different” or a 6 or 12 of our favorite homebrew.

Not sure I’m with you, sorry…something about beggars can’t be choosers…

You want to drink something “better” or homebrew…make sure you have a stash on hand.

Just a man’s humble opinion.

I agree that you shouldn't tell non-brewers, or brewers for that matter, to bring beer to a party. You can advise them to bring beer they would like if they aren't going to like your selection, but as a party host you should man up and have beer available for your guests. Learn some etiquette!

Don't have money for that? Don't throw a party. If you don't like that go BYOB, and let people enjoy what they brought in peace.

I thought the point of enjoying good beer was to enjoy nice things, not to come off like snobby *****es. All this BMC is so bad, blah, blah, blah, can't believe so many people drink it, blah, blah, blah, what a bunch of dummies, etc, etc, just really gets old.

It is like when you figure something out and think you are so smart, because you neglect the fact that tons of people have figured it out before you. Then you hold that piece of knowledge as your identity and use it to look down on people who don't have it...don't be that guy.

Worst. Thread. Ever.
Why would I expect a coors light or bud light drinker to bring any thing other than a coors or bud to a party? You offer to supply food and expect the bmc crowd to somehow discover the beer you like? I'd say your friends don't know you very well.

I think 98% of you took the OP far too serious. He didn't scream at his friends and call them ******** for bringing BMC. He just came on a site and stated that it sucked that there was no (in his opinion) good beer brought to the party. Next time he knows to get his own or have homebrew on hand. You all need to relax with the calling people "snobs" and "*****es"...His tone was nowhere near as serious as you all have made it.

I had 3 Regular Budweisers over the course of the game, I wasn't able to drive home safely-my wife was the DD. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the 6 pounders of my 7.4% homebrew I have on tap before leaving for the party?!?!? I love my Budweiser, I've had a MUUUCCCHHH longer relationship with it than with my homebrewing. Maybe once I tweak my process enough to create a superior session beer(only been 5+ years) I can actually complain about BMC. Untill then I don't think I can be a snob, only an observer.

I only started this thread because I thought it was funny. These guys normally drink the craft brews anyway. It must have been a quantity over quality for the big game. :tank:

But I definitely made them take the leftovers home. Now if only my pipeline would fill up faster :drunk:

:D you guys would be my best friends if i lived around there, .....buy a case of beer I like (and almost no one else), take it to a party (get a little flak for it) and then spend the whole day "trying" (drinking) the dudes homebrew!!!.....and as a bonus he then MAKES Me take home MY beer!!!
Win win situation right there, i dont part with my hard earnd cash (beer), and the dude posts a tread later about how quick his homebrew went because every body "loved it"........PROST!!!!

I think 98% of you took the OP far too serious. He didn't scream at his friends and call them ******** for bringing BMC. He just came on a site and stated that it sucked that there was no (in his opinion) good beer brought to the party. Next time he knows to get his own or have homebrew on hand. You all need to relax with the calling people "snobs" and "*****es"...His tone was nowhere near as serious as you all have made it.

I have to agree. I didn't see anything where the guy was hassling his buddies. Just kind of wondering aloud...more or less.

Here's my take:

There could be two different situations. Either the party was designed to bring a bunch of people together for game night over a couple cold ones...

OR

The party was designed to introduce the party-goers to different exotic and expensive beers.

I don't believe that it's possible to have a casual game-day party that has a focus on fine beers. If it's the first situation, then the OP shouldn't be complaining about the beers his friends brought. If it's the second situation though, it sounds like his friends don't understand what good beer is...

I'm the OP and I wasn't necessarily complaining. I did drink the BMC that was brought and we all had a good time. I was just pointing out the fact that in a great generalization, non-brewers tend to not think of bringing craft brew to a party.

I'm more in the category of one of the previous posts (I didn't go rummaging to quote it), but all the party-goers know me, know my beer drinking and probably knew that I would give them hell for bringing the beer so they brought it anyway. And no, the party was definitely centered on the game vs the beer.

Do I smell trollbait? Seems like the OP meant to provoke some strong feeling without providing necessary details on how he dealt with the guests.

lol... I have my 14 year old son ready to throw things at the TV now when the "we hop our beer three times" crap comes on. He takes it personally that they claim their beer is better because of it, now that he knows why hops can be added at three different stages in beer production.

I find that a little knowledge has both helped and harmed my appreciation of commercial beer.

I remember talking with one of my chemical engineering professors after he went to visit Coors. The money quote - "As you go on this tour, they make a big deal of the quality of their process. At the end of the day, it's still Coors, though."

Do I smell trollbait? Seems like the OP meant to provoke some strong feeling without providing necessary details on how he dealt with the guests.

Perhaps I should have better explained myself and I apologize for that. I definitely was not trolling for a hate thread, though I definitely got that. I was more trying to insight responses around what people bring to the party. Funny how after 10 pages of responses how people interpret the OP. lol now if only it was acceptable to drink on the job........

That and the part where you take what someone says and make it larger! Take Tom Brady's wife, a comment she makes behind her back about how Brady can't throw and catch the ball at the same time, and the media says she's bashing the receivers. *sigh*

I personally don't require people to bring anything. I tell them what we have on hand for food and drink and tell them that if they want anything different, be my guest to bring it. However, I have had the instance where guests bring stuff and other people drink/eat it and they get upset. That's a whole other story though. Anyways, I always have homebrew and BMC when having people over because let's face it, not everyone likes what I like. I think my home brew is better than the store bought BMC, but it doesn't bother me if they would rather drink that.

I think the moral of the story here is "Don't hang out with beer snobs or brew geeks because you'll undoubtedly start an argument."

Perhaps I should have better explained myself and I apologize for that. I definitely was not trolling for a hate thread, though I definitely got that. I was more trying to insight responses around what people bring to the party. Funny how after 10 pages of responses how people interpret the OP. lol now if only it was acceptable to drink on the job........

No problem...

Thats the beauty of the internet. After awhile, you can always go back and say "Just kidding".

This.

I think the moral of the story here is "Don't hang out with beer snobs or brew geeks because you'll undoubtedly start an argument."

Does this mean I should leave the forum and never come back? LOL, just kidding. I'm just glad that my friends still hang out with me. Though we're a hugely sarcastic bunch, so everything’s in good fun.

Down south here we just go off of what we were taught coming up. I had a super bowl party at my house and I had 3 ice chests set up with beer. One with some of my home brews, and one with coors light and the other with bud light. I know everyone doesn't like (or want to pay the high price) for craft beers. Every guest that walked through my door came in with their own drinks of choice and some kind of hour dourve or desert. When the evening was done, nobody grabs their left overs and leaves. You leave it as a sign of thanks for having them in your house and entertaining them. Now I have an extra surplus of BMC's, a couple of bottles of wine and a bottle of Knob Creek. Guess that's just how we roll. Never show up empty handed and always leave empty handed.

Down south here we just go off of what we were taught coming up. I had a super bowl party at my house and I had 3 ice chests set up with beer. One with some of my home brews, and one with coors light and the other with bud light. I know everyone doesn't like (or want to pay the high price) for craft beers. Every guest that walked through my door came in with their own drinks of choice and some kind of hour dourve or desert. When the evening was done, nobody grabs their left overs and leaves. You leave it as a sign of thanks for having them in your house and entertaining them. Now I have an extra surplus of BMC's, a couple of bottles of wine and a bottle of Knob Creek. Guess that's just how we roll. Never show up empty handed and always leave empty handed.

I'll help you get rid of that Knob Creek! That's good stuff!

Geez, Now who would bring Knob Creek!? Man, don't they know what good whiskey is? It's the Crown man, the Crown!

LOL, actually, it's good stuff

Geez, Now who would bring Knob Creek!? Man, don't they know what good whiskey is? It's the Crown man, the Crown!

LOL, actually, it's good stuff

Knob is good stuff, but if he brought Crown, I would not have know who won the game until the next morning.:drunk:

I'd have to be pretty annoyed at someone to go on my internet forum and start a new thread about what they brought. But thats just me.

Whenever you read something thats typed out, without hearing someones tone, or seeing their expressions, its difficult to figure out what they truly mean. Especially when they don't let you know that they're kidding right off the bat. I guess its safer to be vague and go back and do damage control later when you get a feel for how your post was received. Not saying thats what the op did, but it looks that way

T's exactly what the subject sounds like. I just finished hosting a Super Bowl party (Yeah Giants!!) anyway, I told everyone that it would cover the meat if others brought sides and beer. The only beer we were treated to was Coors light and bud. What the heck! Don't these people appreciate good beer? Does anyone else experience this?

I see nothing wrong with this.

Here's what I do:
1) I throw the party.
2) I tell people I will supply the beer.
3) They bring beer anyway.
4) I throw it on ice and if they want to drink it they're free to do so.
5) No one drinks it - They drink all my beer anyway.
6) I call my brother-in-law the next day to come over and pickup free beer.

Everyone is happy! Especially my brother-in-law (He got a 30 pack a few weeks ago).

I hosted for the game and told friends to bring beer. Other than Spaten Optimator and Shocktop, all was BMC. Bud platinum even made a showing, really cute blue bottles. My friends really got a kick out of pulling their own pints from the keezer and loved my copper ipa. So most moved to the homebrew and now I have a decent amount of BMC left in the fridge and an empty keg. At 8.3% the ipa has several people sharing rides or sleeping over. After a couple pints, my buddy's girlfriend told me it was "ten times better than anything they make at BJ's." Even though she was blitzed it felt good to hear. Time to brew up another batch.

I'm pretty forgiving with other peoples choices in beer, but it doesnt mean I want Bud Light laying around my house.

Turning down free beer? To me that is far worse a crime than having it at your house.

The best kind of beer is free and cold

yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. Just because it's free doesn't mean that it's good. I honestly just don't like Miller Lite or others of the like. It doesn't mean I'll yell at someone for bringing it, but just drink something else. No sense in drinking it just because it's there!

b-boy said:
Here's what I do:
1) I throw the party.
2) I tell people I will supply the beer.
3) They bring beer anyway.
4) I throw it on ice and if they want to drink it they're free to do so.
5) No one drinks it - They drink all my beer anyway.
6) I call my brother-in-law the next day to come over and pickup free beer.

Everyone is happy! Especially my brother-in-law (He got a 30 pack a few weeks ago).

Word. Fortunately enough for me most of my friends drink craft. If I have a party or BBQ I tell everyone I'm supplying the booze. Even my BMC drinking friends are more than happy to break out of their comfort zone for free beer. I always try to be a good host and have something available that everyone would want to drink (kolsch blonde ale etc for the BMC drinkers).

It will be even better when I build my keezer next month.

Bottom line. You throw the party, you serve the booze.

Turning down free beer? To me that is far worse a crime than having it at your house.[/I]

I'll respectfully disagree. I drink beer because I like the taste, not because its free. If someone brought over a plate of a particular food that you dont like, are you going to eat it just because its free?

Latest posts

Back