Marris Otter Mix-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Was going to brew an amber ale this weekend. called for 9.5 lbs of British Pale Ale malt. Took the list to my LBHS. Bill was a few bucks more than expected and I figured out why. Evidently they gave me 9.5 of Marris Otter. Rest of the grain bill was fine (1lb Munich, .5 Victory, .5 40 and .25 120)

So, what affect should the mixup have on my final product? I assume the Marris Otter will add a little more richness to the beer, is there any downside?

You've got no worries. Maris Otter is one type of British pale malt - it would be like saying I went to buy a steak and the butcher sold me a ribeye. It has a bit of nuttiness - I specifically smell peanuts in the milled grain.

I have brewed with it before but it was an english pale ale.
This is one of the situations where the limitations of language can cause confusion. British pale malt is a base malt grain that is very lightly toasted. British pale ale is a medium-to-light colored beer that may or may not have been made with British pale malt. Maris Otter is a specific strain of barley that is used to make British pale malt, but not all British pale malt is Maris Otter.

I like mixing UK pale ale malt with marris otter. A lil carapils,crystal 40L & some chocolate malt for color in my IPA's. Used'em in my Maori IPA,& 2 out of three of the lawncare guys liked my beers with them. Lawncare owner guy preffered the Bud light Lime I served him after a dark hybrid lager an earlier time. I'm not sad,cause 2 outta 3 ain't bad...:mug:

marris otter is british, and pale but is absolutely not the same as british pale malt.

MO is a higher diastatic base malt, british pale malt will barely convert anything else.

Tipple is pale and british too, but its not marris otter or pale malt but is used in pale ales.

You're good to go with the marris otter. As to what difference it make, without knowing the source of the recipe (UK or just someone confused about UK grain names) no one can say.

Of course pal malt & marris otter aren't the same. But for myself,I like mixing the two for the aromas & flavors they give combined. Made some darn nice spent grain prezel buns too!

Latest posts

Back