Homebrewed Black & Tan (AWESOME)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my Bass Ale is nearly ready and my Guinness has been on tap for about three weeks. I couldn't resist pouring up a black and tan.

It was awesome. Even my SWMBO sho dislikes dark beers asked me to pour one for her becasue it "looked so cool".

Sorry bout the pour photography. (get it "pour" photography?)

BlackTan1.JPG

BlackTan2.JPG

BlackTan3.JPG

BlackTan4.JPG

Very cool. I tried one a while back w/ a dark and light beer, but they mixed right in. Is the bent spoon the key to separation?

Lil' Sparky said:
Very cool. I tried one a while back w/ a dark and light beer, but they mixed right in. Is the bent spoon the key to separation?
Absolutely. I had a "mixing" issue too. The bent spoon is the key. Fill the bottom half up within a 1/2 inch of the bottom of the spoon, then pour in the stout and let it cascade on top and settle. I'd recommend a more straight walled glass. The idea of a B&T is that when you tip the glass to sip, the two beers mix for a blended taste and then re-seperate when you set the glass back up-right.

This glass didn't lend itself well to the beers blending. Kind of finished off the stout and then the bass ale. But DAMN, it still looked cool.

Can't order one of those at Applebee's.

Dude said:
KICKASS.

Is your spoon inverted in there? It looks like the "spoon" part is facing up...I've never seen one poured that way.
Yep. It's upright. I found that inverted, the dark flowed down into the light a little fast and blended. This also gave a bit more "froth" to the finished head, though it dissapated pretty quickly.

Hey...DUDE? Is that really you? Where the heck ya been man?

As an ex-bartender who has made many layered drinks, there are a few things to know when layering any drink (shooters or beers):

Although it would seem counter-intuitive add the lightest drink to the glass first.

Place an inverted spoon (curved side up) into the glass and place the edge of the spoons tip onto the edge of the glass. Hold it firmly there. Slowly pour the next lightest liquid of your multi layered concoction over the inverted spoon. Make sure that you maintain contact between the edge of the spoon and the edge of the glass.

If you have more layers to pour, continue with the guidelines above. As long as the different liquids have sufficient variation in gravitities they will continue to maintain individual layers.

It would be interesting to see who could present a picture of the 'most layers of beer" in an official pint glass.

Thanks for the tip kenche.

A stout, an amber, a pale and a wit.

I have em all on tap. Maybe I'll give it a whirl when I'm feeling energetic.

Right now though, I have 10 gallons of my Nierra Sevada mashing.

Back