Calculating cost effectiveness verification/help with calculations please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balue

Reaction score
OK trying to do some math here and set up some future orders for the year. Due to small living space I am limited to partials with up to 6lbs of grain. Now trying to reduce costs I would like to purchase in bulk on line to save costs. So the following is what I am looking at as a starting point of reference. I will price shop later for best prices.

Now knowing that you need approximately 20% less DME than LME by weight is the following correct in my thinking?

40lbs LME bulk 99.99 = 2.50 per lb

50lbs DME bulk 144.99 = 2.90 per lb

This looks like LME is cheaper by the lb BUT knowing that you get more millage out of DME would the following be approximately true?

50lbs of DME would be equal to about 62.5lbs of LME making it more like the equivalent of 2.32 per lb?

Considering LME is 3-3.50 per lb and DME is 4-7 per lb when not bought in bulk I would be saving either way.

Just looking to have my logic and calculations verified and save me some money this coming brew year. I have brewed great beers with both LME and DME so not looking for a debate on what’s better just trying to go more cost effective.

Yep, the math looks good. At those prices, you might save about $1 per batch using DME. Every little bit counts! I might also suggest buying hops in bulk. If you get a good spread that covers a lot of styles and don't mind substituting once in a while, you can get a lot of them for about $10-15/lb. A lot better than $2-4 per oz like at my LHBS.

I'll certainly agree with you that LME can make excellent beers, but for your case (and the decision I made as well) is that DME will keep a lot longer than LME. A lot of the problems I think people have with LME is in early batches when they're buying a kit from a less-than -stellar source and wind up using old LME. I've found DME is much easier to keep around, and you don't have to worry about how long you've had it.

I'll also agree with buying hops in bulk. If you can swing it a vacuum sealer is a nice investment for the hops, but even without that buying in bulk and storing in a freezer will keep them for a good long while. Farmhouse brewing always has some really good deals if you're looking to buy less than a pound (4oz packs) or Hops Direct has some great larger-pack prices.

If you're really trying to stretch your budget, assuming you're not doing this already, washing yeast and/or setting up a yeast ranch will help to spread out those yeast packs as well. Dollar here, dollar there, then you don't feel so bad blowing it on $200 of equipment you probably could do without!

I think you have it backwards. 50lbs of LME would equal 40lbs of DME as the DME is more concentrated. So it's even closer than before.

50lbs LME bulk = $125.00 @ $2.50/lb

40lbs DME buld = $116.00 @ $2.90/lb

Latest posts

Back