1028 London or 1056 American for a Porter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
a Porter type beer. The hops I'm using will be going for earthy/floral. I plan on using a good amount of grains using chocolate/crytsal/black patent malts. From past experience and a little reading I'm trying to decide between these two. I've never used the 1028 London before but it sounds like it might work quite well. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Feel free to tell me if there's something way better to use than these two I've mentioned. Thanks!

Both would be fine, though I like using a neutral yeast (us-05) for robust porter and a more traditional English strain for brown porters. Really depends on what malt/yeast character you are looking for in the finished beer.

I've recently taken to splitting my batches in half and fermenting with two different yeasts under identical conditions. When I get home on Monday night the first such batch (a porter split between 1028 and 1084) should be carbonated & ready for tasting.

Costs more for the yeast but negates having to do a starter, plus I get a bunch of sensory information about what various yeasts bring to the table.

I hate diacetyl so I totally avoid British yeast strains. Considering that, I would recommend US-05

1028 is a superb porter yeast. 1056 is fine for an American style but the London would be an excellent choice for porter with English ingredients.

I'm leaning on more German ingredients and it's kind of a robust porter/stout that I'm going for. Thanks so much for all the advice and if anyone has anymore input with this info being brought up that would be awesome!

I'm leaning on more German ingredients and it's kind of a robust porter/stout that I'm going for. Thanks so much for all the advice and if anyone has anymore input with this info being brought up that would be awesome!

I hate diacetyl so I totally avoid British yeast strains. Considering that, I would recommend US-05

London ale is a medium flocculator and as such, it doesn't have any diacetyl problems. Its ester profile is also markedly less fruity than most English strains.

I use WY1028 for a bunch of beers including American IPAs. The ester profile is a bit oaky -- a beer fermented with it around 68*F will taste lightly like it was aged in oak, it's fairly attenuative, and it tends to accentuate hops slightly.

Back