Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Sweden it is normal for people to pronounce it like a Swedish word and not like an abriviation from the English language. You kinda get used to it, but it still annoys me to a certain extend. Though I have cought myself hating it more when being used that way by hipster folk. My regular crowd knows better yet they are used to that way.

Writing this I feel so snobby, even though I hardly ever correct anyone. Only when they look at me weird or comment when I say it "right"....

After living in Mexico, and then Norway, it's officially pronounced eepah...

Here in Sweden it is normal for people to pronounce it like a Swedish word and not like an abriviation from the English language. You kinda get used to it, but it still annoys me to a certain extend. Though I have cought myself hating it more when being used that way by hipster folk. My regular crowd knows better yet they are used to that way.

Writing this I feel so snobby, even though I hardly ever correct anyone. Only when they look at me weird or comment when I say it "right"....

Snobs have moved on, and prefer to correct the pronunciation of Westvleteren.

I don't want to be THAT guy but, you're all wrong. It is correctly pronounced "Ya". The p is silent and the ia sounds as in Asia. Please try to get it right.

Coworker to me. "I was at beer festival and all the beers were like yours, real thick and strong. (I let him try a heffewiesen)." me "what beers did you try?" him " Sierra Nevada in the green cans and one in a brown bottle(found out it was ruthless rye). That's all I stand, I too lit up afterwards. " facepalm

Yeah, I gave some of my 4.5% brown porter to my MIL's bf and he said it gave him a good buzz. I'm wondering what made this buzz any different than BMC he topically drinks?

it's funny how non-beer nerds correlate dark with high ABV percentage. many years ago I brewed a 4% Sweet Stout. I was drinking one when my in-laws were visiting. i heard comments like, "Boy, that looks like it'll mess you up." and "Wow! That looks like a strong beer!" then when you explain to them the lower alcohol content and they glaze over and keep chugging BL (which I still have one or two in the basement).

According to my family, if it isn't yellow, it's dark. Ambers aren't quite as bad as tar like Guinness, but they're still s00per dark too. You can even taste the darkness. Don't ask me how, but apparently you can.

According to my family, if it isn't yellow, it's dark. Ambers aren't quite as bad as tar like Guinness, but they're still s00per dark too. You can even taste the darkness. Don't ask me how, but apparently you can.

My dad's the same way. ShinerBock is too thick, SNPA is thick and boozy, anything close to black is just undrinkable.

Cool, more good beers for me.

FACT! my in-laws don't like dark beers like "Bud Heavy".

and I guy I work with told me the whole "Bock beer comes from the bottom of the barrel" thing the other day. I over corrected him.

Don't forget the fact that anything darker in color than bud heavy is so thick you have to chew it.

it's funny how non-beer nerds correlate dark with high ABV percentage. many years ago I brewed a 4% Sweet Stout. I was drinking one when my in-laws were visiting. i heard comments like, "Boy, that looks like it'll mess you up." and "Wow! That looks like a strong beer!" then when you explain to them the lower alcohol content and they glaze over and keep chugging BL (which I still have one or two in the basement).

Pour him a Duvel and tell him it's a "lite" beer.

Not so much heard, but the new lady at the bowling alley put ice in my pitcher, as well as the people next to us tonight. Had to ask for an iceless pitcher for round #2.

I always get irritated when people say that the beer isn't "complex" enough. Does it taste good? "Yeah." So what's the problem? "It's just not complex enough." What is that all about? Can't people just appreciate something simple and done really well?

I always get irritated when people say that the beer isn't "complex" enough. Does it taste good? "Yeah." So what's the problem? "It's just not complex enough." What is that all about? Can't people just appreciate something simple and done really well?

Yes but if they admit to enjoying a good simple beer then they don't appear pretentious, oops I mean refined, enough.

Just got this email with a couple recipes for some reason. Check out the carne asada recipe. Beer- lager style, preferably Mexican. Is that just for bragging rights? "Well I used 4oz of this random ****ty 'Mexican' lager that I found at Kroger. That makes my steak better than yours." I don't get it.

This past Saturday, I met up with my girlfriend and her friends for lunch at this local taphouse after a few hours at the skatepark. I was getting a beer and offered to buy the girls any if they wanted. One of them was like, "I don't like beer. It all tastes the same."

I don't think she's ever had any other beer outside of Coors Light or Bud Light. She then asked me to make her a fruity beer, but I'm afraid it'll get lumped in with Coors/Bud and she'll say, "yup, it still tastes like all other beers..."

I was cruisin through my IG feed a week ago and someone claims they were at a supermarket and overheard someone who works there helping someone with fall beers and the worker states 'pumpkin ales and oktoberfests are the same thing'

...WHAT??!!

I was cruisin through my IG feed a week ago and someone claims they were at a supermarket and overheard someone who works there helping someone with fall beers and the worker states 'pumpkin ales and oktoberfests are the same thing'

...WHAT??!!

I'm always jealous of people who can buy beer in the store.

Yep. Gotta be "refined". I freakin love peanut butter. Is there a more simple flavor? Probably not. To hell with refinement. :)

Is that organic, free-trade, clean label peanut butter packaged by a micro-loan, all-women-owned, artisanal peanutbuttery in West Africa?

I didn't think so, cretin.

:p

Yep. Gotta be "refined". I freakin love peanut butter. Is there a more simple flavor? Probably not. To hell with refinement. :)
Get yourself a bottle of Buxton/Omnipollo´s "Yellow Belly" or "Yellow Belly Sundae" if you can. It´s an imperial peanut butter biscuit stout and glorious. The Sundae version is additionally aged on bourbon barrels with vanilla and cacao. A snickers ice cream float in a glass. Heaven.

Now it´s not exactly beer, but similar, so I´ll put it here:
I was going to a party and had only super cheap boxed red wine, but did not want to bring a full 3L. So I just put some in a bottle and capped it. At the party someone saw me drinking from a beer bottle and wanted to try. Out of reflex I said yes. The dude was probably expecting beer, as anyone who knows me would, and made an irritated face before letting me know that that is pretty decent cider....
Tastebuds are amazing. xD

Back