Just got my custom mash paddle, check it out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stat

Reaction score
So I had ordered a bunch of tap handles from a carver here in houston and was very impressed. Then one brew day I was trying to stir a thick decoction with a flimsy pos plastic paddle and thought there had to be a better way to do this.

So I put two and two together and decided to send an email over to www.wildvinecarvings.com with my idea and this is what came of it.

DSCF2515.jpg

DSCF2507.jpg

DSCF2506.jpg

The handle is wrapped in leather and everything is hand carved.

Now I'm thinking I should get one designed like a viking oar. Maybe make it look aged and beat up a little and hang it up in the brew room.

My paddle is maple, but there are a ton of wood supply places in houston I'm sure any wood you wanted would be obtainable.

Fired off an email to see what they can come up with...

Thanks for posting your paddle... I've seen the site before, but I had forgotten about them. :D

its just beautiful but i wouldnt use it to stir my mash, too pretty for that

I, too, had seen the tap handles posted by a member here. Forgot about the maker, but am definitely bookmarking the site this time. These are high on the list of purchasables. What's the turn-around time, give or take? Kyle

Got a reply from Annamaria last night. Replied to her just a short time ago... Really looking forward to the sketches of the paddle. Looking to get one for use first, but then at least one that will be for display. Even thinking about getting some different ones to be used in different styles of brew. :D

I do like to support talented artist whenever possible. This just happens to give me something I've been wanting for a while too... :rockin:

I, too, had seen the tap handles posted by a member here. Forgot about the maker, but am definitely bookmarking the site this time. These are high on the list of purchasables. What's the turn-around time, give or take? Kyle

Took about two and a half weeks, I think she said this time of year was pretty busy with all the festivals going on.

Took about two and a half weeks, I think she said this time of year was pretty busy with all the festivals going on.

Was that from design sign-off to delivery of it? I'm hoping that mine will be done in time for my next brew day (5/26)... :D

From what I've read from her email so far, this one is going to be EPIC! :rockin: :D

Brew day was moved up, so I won't have the new paddle in time... That's ok since it's still going to be EPIC!! The design is unreal and I can hardly wait to get my hands on it... I have the sketches of the paddle, so I know what it's going to be like.

I'll post pictures when I get it...

I'll be posting a picture soon. Just got word that it's done and shipping out today. I'll have to take a picture with something for scale so that you get an idea of the size (larger than average/normal) :D.

Mash paddle or house payment? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, it is nice though.

Hey stat, what kind of price are we talking about for the tap handles? Those look sweet, but labor = cost.

Yeah, not even a shot of it finished and it's amazing. She does great work. I've already requested additional paddle sketches as well as tap handle designs along the same theme. Some of the paddles will just be for show, from wood with more character (not good for brewing).

I'm glad the handle design came out as it did. I let her go as she thought was best for the pattern going down to the paddle, as well as how the tree integrated into it. To say I'm pleased is an understatement. IMO, money well spent. Granted, it wasn't cheap, but I have no issue paying what she asked for the end result.

I plan on using it next weekend (the 16 should be the next brew day for me).

Holy crap that thing is amazing. You're going to be stirring grains with a work of art.

Yup... :D It's going to be EPIC!!! :D

I've already asked for sketches for additional paddles, in the same theme, that will be for display, as well as some that will be good to use. Plus tap handles along the same design theme...

Sent you a PM... Not sure what the OP paid, but I sent you what I paid. I don't think it's right to post up the prices here, since I have no idea what she'll charge for a normal sized mash paddle (mine's bigger :D)...

The first paddle (my monstah) was a bit tight in my keggle mash tun... So, I'm getting her to make me a second paddle. :ban: :rockin: Got the sketch this afternoon, giving the thumbs up and now it's just a matter of waiting to see what it's like when it arrives. Giving her pretty much free reign on the handle relief this time. The paddle will be another Celtic patter, and the grip will still have the Tree of Life/Green Man on it... :D

Stoked for paddle #2 (of many)...

The first paddle (my monstah) was a bit tight in my keggle mash tun... So, I'm getting her to make me a second paddle. :ban: :rockin: Got the sketch this afternoon, giving the thumbs up and now it's just a matter of waiting to see what it's like when it arrives. Giving her pretty much free reign on the handle relief this time. The paddle will be another Celtic patter, and the grip will still have the Tree of Life/Green Man on it... :D

Stoked for paddle #2 (of many)...

Tight? I'm making 2 of them out of a big chunk of African Teak right now, I've been pondering the dimensions. What do you mean by tight?

Tight? I'm making 2 of them out of a big chunk of African Teak right now, I've been pondering the dimensions. What do you mean by tight?

4 feet long, 5-1/2" wide by 18" long paddle section... Inside a keggle, it is tight to be able to stir properly with the false bottom (handle), dip tube and thermometer inside... I've removed the thermometer (going to send probes down through the lid) but it's still on the large side for that mash tun. I'm getting one with a more normal size paddle section, but still about 3-1/2' long. :rockin:

When I get my next mash tun (leaning towards a 40 gallon from Stout Tanks) it will be perfect. :D

Sounds like it should work fine... Looking over the email again, the new paddle will be 'a little shorter' so not sure how close to 4' it will be. IF I'm lucky, it will be inches from it (if that)... :D

Just hung my two paddles in the dining room. :ban:

two_paddles1_2-57105.jpg

two_paddles_tops2_2-57108.jpg

The wood behind them, with the brass hardware, is black walnut. I've had the piece for many years and finally found a great use for it. :D I spaced the paddles so that I could hang up to three more on the same piece. :rockin:

Those are awesome! Glad I found this post. Annamaria made my Sam Houston tap handle (on the website) :D

How well do paddles hold up?? With the moisture and absorption, I'd think they would swell and crack. On the other side, I bet they look cool from the natural staining of the wort.

Back