Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I have a weird situation. I have two 6 gallon carboys, same batch, same yeast, next to each other that are reading different temperatures on the stick on thermometers I have on the side of the carboy.

Some information
- each carboy is sitting in a water bath, same levels of water on each, ive added ice to the water in equal amounts to each bath
-Both carboys are better bottle
-pretty much everything is the same with both carboys

One of my stick on thermometers has remained in the same temperature range of 74-72F while the other has been reacting to the ice I add and is currently sitting around 66F (target range).

The stick on thermometers are both about 2/3 the way up the carboys and not near the water.

Is one of these inaccurate? I find it hard to beleive that after my last ice addition the one that hasn't moved didnt decrease in temperature similarly to the one that has moved. Could this be an inaccurate reading?

Could be a bad temperature strip. Take a thermometer and measure the water temperature, if you have one.

Water (and beer) is a large thermal mass. It takes a lot of energy to change the temperature, so I find it hard to believe, with everything you are saying, that the carboys would be more than 2 degrees F from each other.

I have a weird situation. I have two 6 gallon carboys, same batch, same yeast, next to each other that are reading different temperatures on the stick on thermometers I have on the side of the carboy.

Some information
- each carboy is sitting in a water bath, same levels of water on each, ive added ice to the water in equal amounts to each bath
-Both carboys are better bottle
-pretty much everything is the same with both carboys

One of my stick on thermometers has remained in the same temperature range of 74-72F while the other has been reacting to the ice I add and is currently sitting around 66F (target range).

The stick on thermometers are both about 2/3 the way up the carboys and not near the water.

Is one of these inaccurate? I find it hard to beleive that after my last ice addition the one that hasn't moved didnt decrease in temperature similarly to the one that has moved. Could this be an inaccurate reading?

If fermentation has started in only one of the carboys, then the temp would
be higher in that one. It's also very possible that you have a bad strip, I hear they can go bad if they get wet, but I see that you said they're not near the water. I guess you could sanitize your regular thermometer and take a quick reading, or try another strip.:mug:

Back