WTF? We have a spell check?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, how long have I overlooked this?

And why the h3ll can't I copy/paste while in edit mode? (Example: To break up quotes).

You should be able to copy paste. Not sure what's wrong witchoo.

Oh, and "we" don't have a spell check. Firefox does.

I dunno what's wrong witmee either. Both here and at office "No Bueno".

I can copy/paste before I hit the quote button but as soon as I go to the edit screen the fuctions vanish.

Ahhh. I see now. The spell check button is a IE add-on. Click it and it directs you to "I-Spell" to install the add-on.

I think I am gonna need that.

Mozilla Firefox is a free browser, and is not a hack target for people PO'd at Bill Gates.

It has an integral spell check that shows automatically as a squiggly red line under misspelled words. You right-click and pick from a list of suggested words; couldn't be easier and quicker.

Try it, you'll like it. :D

IE just plain blows.

I tried FireFox for a while and hated it. It was such a resource hog that simple browsing resulted in me feeling myself getting older. So I dumped it and got the IE8 and browsing screams again (depending on the speed of teh computer on the other end).

Are you sure it's the Firefox?

I am using XP, and don't want to move to Vista because it is such a hog, and offers me nothing that XP doesn't have. My desktop is from 2002, and of modest specs, so I'm not understanding how your 'puter is so taxed by Firefox.

I dunno either. I just know that FireFox slows it Waaaaaaay down. Running Vista 64 on a Phenom Quad Core with 8GB RAM and while browsing with FireFox I can feel my hair grow. Switched over to IE8 and site load as quickly as the screen can refresh (depending on traffic load). I also have a Resource widget running in the sidebar. With FF I saw a typical 50%+ CPU usage and as oppsed to IE8 using a mere 15-20% on heavy loads. additionally, my RAM usage with FireFox would be in the 6GB range frequently where I only see 2 to 4GB usage with IE8. I know nothinge about the why's or how's of this all but, I do see and feel results.

I have notices that Vista doesn't like having too many similar programs on it but, that doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe it's an odd ko-inky-dink but, I used to have Super Anti-Spyware loaded with the Autoload disabled (meaning I ran and updated it manually) while I also have Norton 360 running. The machine either slowed to creep or locked up frequently. On a whim I decided to dump programs I don't use and mistakenly dumped SAS right off the bat which also forced a Restart. Miraculously, my startup became instantaneous again and after several days of use the machine no longer bogged. From there, I proceeded to dump more un-used programs to free up disc space.

Aarrgh! Can't install the spellcheck on my work machine. Acces to the DL sites is blocked by the Network.

See, I get the opposite. I run firefox on every machine I use because it's WAY faster than Internet Exploder.

The spell-check is independant of Firefox (I'm running IE at work), although I think I had to install something a while back to make it work.

Be careful with spell checkers, even if you are not a bad speller they can make you look like one. It is crazy some of the suggestions they make sometimes. If you use one don't let it auto correct or you will be embarrassed later when you see what you sent out. My spell checker at work regularly wants me to sound hip-hop. Yeah, thanks but that is ok this is a letter to my boss, but yeah thanks anyway.

Be careful with spell checkers, even if you are not a bad speller they can make you look like one. It is crazy some of the suggestions they make sometimes. If you use one don't let it auto correct or you will be embarrassed later when you see what you sent out. My spell checker at work regularly wants me to sound hip-hop. Yeah, thanks but that is ok this is a letter to my boss, but yeah thanks anyway.

I'd check to make sure you are using the English version and not the Snoop Dog version.

Seriously! It's the default dictionary for the Windows SowfSYDE Edition. It's also the default setting for Linux Ubluntu.

That's crazy if true, I have microsoft outlook and it has nothing even quite close to that. But that is what I be doing. :D

Latest posts

Back