SQ-14 (burner) and a 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Anyone have trouble with (or recomend) the bayou classic SQ-14 for a 10 gallon batch using a keggle? I am planning on trying this out for the next batch but I would hate to be underpowered. thanks

The SQ14 works great with a keggle. Personally, I've yet to do a 10-gal batch, but I've heard of other brewers doing so. With how quickly it can bring 6-7 gallons to boil, I don't doubt that it could boil twice that volume.

Highly recommend.

here are the burners I just ordered. at this price I could afford 2 with regulators and hoses.
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=30295&cn=5400001&bhcd2=1213057142 there was a thread a while back that pointed me towards these. as soon as my pump and theses burners arrive the build shall commence.

I purchased three of those for my brutus build. The frame is not ready to mount them but I did use one that I mounted in my turkey frier. It placed the burner about 3 inches below the keggle. I had no problem with any of the power issues. I will try and time them next brew but it was definately faster than my old jet burner. These are slightly bigger than the SQ14's at 6 inches instead of 5 and 1/2 inches.

I use the SQ-14 for 10 gal batches all the time. Takes about 20 minutes to bring to a boil then you can dang near turn it off to hold the boil.

I used the SQ-14 for my first 10 gallon batch last week (boiled in a keggle). It took a full 60 minutes to heat 8 gallons of sparge water from 70 to 170* and it took 2.5 hours to heat the 13.5 gallons of wort from 160*ish to boil. I had to keep the burner at full blast to maintain a weak boil. I'm at sea level. I don't know if that makes a difference. It worked great for 5 gallon batches. I just ordered a banjo burner...

I used the SQ-14 for my first 10 gallon batch last week (boiled in a keggle). It took a full 60 minutes to heat 8 gallons of sparge water from 70 to 170* and it took 2.5 hours to heat the 13.5 gallons of wort from 160*ish to boil. I had to keep the burner at full blast to maintain a weak boil. I'm at sea level. I don't know if that makes a difference. It worked great for 5 gallon batches. I just ordered a banjo burner...
300 feet above sea level in NJ. I'd say you have a problem with your burner. No such issues here with the standard 10 psi regulator. My results are similar to FSR402.

The burner is clean, the flames look normal (they get about 6 inches of the burner before they start to blow themselvs out from the bottom) and it doesn't leave any soot on the kettle. What type of problems could a burner have. It's a pretty simple piece of equipment.

What type of problems could a burner have. It's a pretty simple piece of equipment.
Yeah, just air and gas. May not be getting enough of one or the other. Some have had luck switching to the 20 psi regulator. I'm guessing you have the 10 and not a 5? But with a new burner on the way you should be set.

Yeah, it's a 10psi. Maybe I'll tweak with the air/gas mixture and see if it improves any. I like the burner. It works great for 5 gallon batches and strike water. I am looking forward to the banjo burner for the big boils though.

It's a pretty simple piece of equipment.

OK, so uh... Turns out I'm a moron.:eek: I had the air intake all the way open. I don't know how it got loose and opened all the way but it did. I fixed it and did another 10 gallon batch to see how well it would work. This time it heated 9.5 gallons of sparge water from 70 to 170 in about 30 minutes. It go the 150 degree wort to boil in about a half hour as well. It's a little slow but I would say it is defiantly adequate for 10 gallon boils even with the 10 psi regulator. You can't beat the price.

Back