I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, hope you didn't get any bats in your wort brewing at night :)

I'll definitely be setting up a fan to blow on the wort for this one. I'll probably be doing a boil in my boil kettle with the BW and in my HLT for a small beer (May make it a 3 gallon batch depending on sugars left in the mash after BW)

So.... I'm noticing that the original recipe calls for directly heating the mash to raise the temp for mashout. Insofar as I don't have that capability yet I'm trying to figure out my options. Since I plan to partigyle and produce a smaller beer with the second runnings I could add 4 gallons of 212F water at mashout to raise the mash temp to 168 then run off only the appropriate volume for the barleywine then add more 168F water for my second beer. The only problem is that I'm not sure my mash tun could take that much additional water. Another option would be to go the decoction route and run off some of the wort, heat it and return to the mash tun. Might have to do a couple times to get the mash up to 168. The last option would be to ignore mashout all together, just add the sparge water as directed in the recipe.

Any thoughts?

To mash out or not to mash out, that is the question. Whether tis nobler ... oh. Right. Sorry.

I am in the camp that believes mash-outs (while they are nice) are not necessary, especially since I use infusion-based single-step mashing in a cooler mash tun with no source of direct heat. So I drain the first runnings from the tun, infuse with my first batch sparge, stir, and let sit 15 minutes. Then drain, infuse with second batch sparge, stir, wait, drain. For the 9-9-9 Barleywine I will probably do 3 equally sized batch sparges, and plan to do at least a 120min boil.

I realize that doesn't exactly fit with partigyling this brew, so I will back up and let someone else jump in.

Well, here is the play by play:

Started at about 6 pm heating liquor
Mashed in about 20 min later (holy cr@p, that's a lot of grain)
Held mash at 148-150 for 60 minutes
Vorlaufed---no stuck sparge here
Drained
Added 4.5 gallons at 175
vorlaufed
drained
Added 4 gallons at 175
IT TOOK IT ALL----started to boil down a little over 12 gallons of wort

Finished chilling to pitch temperature at 3:00---9 hour brew day!!
Hit OG dead on 1.119
Was bubbling away on Haus PA cake by the time I left for work the next morning (3.5 hours later)

EPIC:rockin:

Uh. Is that a 5g or a 10g batch?

Good work dude! Epic is right! How was work? :tank:

It is a 5.5 gallon batch. 12 gallons of runoff to boil down to the correct gravity.
I am curious as to how successful people will be with partigyleing this. Unless they are supplementing with quite a bit of extract, the grains don't have much left to give up after sparging.

My final runnings were a bit light.

EDIT:
How was work? :tank:
I am still at work. I don't know what I am running on now or how I am still alive. But I am here!:rockin:

Yeah, I attempted to do a partigyle off this. It was my first so I said what the heck. OG was something very very low...low 1.020's I think. Took a sample last week. Tasted like flavored water...beer flavored water, but nothing I'm all too excited about. I'll hold on to it for a little while and see where it ends up. No free kegs at the moment.

PS: If nothing else it was a good starter for my Christmas Ale.

I'm thinking of adding extra base grains (5 lbs or so) and making the BW batch be around 4.5 gallons and the other batch boil down to somewhere around 1.040 gravity (not sure what volume I will end up with)

Planning on the first runnings plus about half the second runnings being for the BW and then the other half plus 3rd runnings being the small beer. I haven't done the math on this yet though.

It is a 5.5 gallon batch. 12 gallons of runoff to boil down to the correct gravity.
I am curious as to how successful people will be with partigyleing this. Unless they are supplementing with quite a bit of extract, the grains don't have much left to give up after sparging.

My final runnings were a bit light.

I'm kind of curious, did you happen to take separate gravity reading from each running? If your final runnings were light why even add them? Sure you sacrifice brewhouse efficiency but reduce the boil time. And those sugars you leave behind... perfect for partigyle. Looking at one of the partigyle spreadsheets it looks like if you want a 1.119 strong beer and a 1.080 "weak" beer you mash a recipe for a 1.0935 beer @ 11.17 gallons and the first 5.6 G come out at 1.119(actually 1.1119 pre-boil) and the second 5.6 G at 1.080(1.0752 pre-boil).

The spreadsheet is mentioned in post 27 of this thread

Playing with spreadsheets and BeerTools for a while I came up with what I'm going to try

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=7808

Somewhat specific to me (hop substitutions) but may be a guide for others.

I'm using the same grist as the recipe (plus 2 lbs base grain) and planning to end up with 4.5 gallons of 1.119 BW and 4 gallons of smaller beer (the original was for 5.75 gallons so that's where I'm getting my sugars for the smaller beer).

I plan on making the smaller beer be about 1.062 FG with a lot of hops and dry hopping in an attempt to make a bastardized IPA, is this a bad route to go with the smaller beer?

Process I'm planning on using is in the link above in the comments.

I had decided in the beginning that I did not want to use any DME or LME in this brew. From that point, my only concern was hitting my OG with the grains I bought (being in Vegas, I have to mail order all my ingredients).
With my grist of 26.5 lbs of grain, and a 90 min boil SG target of 1.087 before adding candi, I ended up having to sparge a total of a little over 12 gallons. Now, my calculations may have been off a bit, but I hit my OG dead on when I finally got to 90 min left and the OG into the fermenter was 1.119 after candi was added.
I think it will be good to go!:mug:

Whew! Duck out of the thread for awhile and it goes and gets several hundred posts on it!

It looks like several people have already brewed this monster, so I just want to report that I did my 5gal starter today. Hopefuly in 2-3 weeks I will crank this one out for myself!

Will the 05 hold up to the ABV of this? I'm thinking good old Notty.

I had the same question, and was assured by Brewpastor that it would hold up.

And his word is as good as law in my book of beer. :D

EDIT: Whoops, you are talking about US-05, not 1056. I should try that "reading" thing before I type...

I used Notty.
I love Notty.
I try to use Notty as much as I can.
Notty ships well.
Did I mention I love Notty?

2 packs of US-05 should be just slightly less than optimal pitching. I'm going with 2 packs and wyeast yeast nutrient tomorrow.

I've pulled a name or two off this list due to being MIA the last month or more. I've also scrubbed for names that I know have not delivered on the last RIS-888 swap.

If there is a name on this list that did not deliver on the 888, PM me immediately.

If you feel you've been overlooked or you wish to pull out...let me know.

We're up to 57 participants for this swap. :ban:

The date to the right is the "last activity" date.

9/9 - 8/4
98EXL - 8/13
Air Pirate - 7/24
Alamo_Beer - 8/13
BakerStreetBeers - 7/19
Beerrific - 8/13
beerthirty - 8/12
Beerthoven - 7/18
BierMuncher - 8/13
Bike N Brew - 8/11
blacklab - 8/13
Brewpastor - 8/13
Brewsmith - 8/13
BuffaloSabresBrewer - 8/13
CBBaron - 8/13
chriso - 8/13
conpewter - 8/13
Couevas - 8/13
DeathBrewer - 8/13
deathweed - 8/10
Displaced MassHole - 8/13
EdWort - 8/13
Evan! - 8/13
EvilTOJ - 8/13
FSR402 - 8/13
Glibbidy - 8/13
hagbardceline - 8/11
Hagen - 8/13
HarvInSTL - 8/13
IrregularPulse - 8/13
jds - 8/13
jfrizzell - 8/13
jmulligan - 8/13
justbrewit - 7/16
Kai - 8/13
Kilted Brewer - 8/13
KingBrianI - 8/13
korndog - 8/13
Liquidicem - 8/13
MikeFlynn74 - 8/13
MNBugeater - 8/13
mrkristofo - 8/4
nealf - 8/13
niquejim - 8/13
olllllo - 8/13
Ooompa Loompa - 8/11
Pirate Ale - 8/13
RICLARK - 8/13
Ridemywideglide - 8/13
SporkD2 - 8/13
Stratotankard - 8/13
TexLaw - 8/13
the_bird - 8/13
uglygoat - 8/13
Warrior - 8/13
wildwest450 - 8/13
xiang - 8/13

Whew! Way to crank out the "grunt work" there BM! +1 to ya!

I can't decide whether I should brew 2.5 gal or 5 gal for this swap. I'm really not nearly as much of a Barleywine fan as I am an Imperial Stout fan. I could see the BW just sitting around the house, being used for gifts to anyone who'll drink one.

Whew! Way to crank out the "grunt work" there BM! +1 to ya!

I can't decide whether I should brew 2.5 gal or 5 gal for this swap. I'm really not nearly as much of a Barleywine fan as I am an Imperial Stout fan. I could see the BW just sitting around the house, being used for gifts to anyone who'll drink one.

Are you saying that drinking a couple beers a month for a couple years is a hardship? :confused:

This beer should age very well and it could be very interesting to try it years after you brew it. If you only make 24 bottles by the time you finish the swap and let a few friends "try one" you won't have much left.

Unless 2.5gal is going to be much less effort to make I think I would have to make the 5gal batch.

Craig

No, I mean drinking a couple Barleywines a month is hardship. It's a style that I'm rarely fond of. I debated joining the swap for about 3 weeks before I finally PMed Muncher, we talked through a lot of this. It's to "further my beerducation".

It's not that it's nasty, it's just a style that's not to my usual tastes. I'm a roasty guy, not a raisin-y plum-y guy. *shrug*

Now the 08 RIS. Oh god. I could easily make 15 more gallons, and still run out within 18 months.

...Unless 2.5gal is going to be much less effort to make I think I would have to make the 5gal batch.

Craig

I'm going with the scaled down 3-gallon recipe. I like barleywine (the few I've had), but the grain bill for a 5-gallon batch pushes the envelope for my tun setup.

3-gallons should yield a case plus a six pack.

6-beers for the swap.
6-beers to send off to future competitions (if it's worthy)

That leaves 18 beers
1-to sample prior to shipping off to make sure it's not rancid.
1-to compare against the BW's I receive from the swap on 9-9.
16-to enjoy over the next year on special occasions.

:confused: - hmmmm...doesn't sound like enough. I might have to do a second 3-gallon batch and put a little twist on it. :D

Well ladies and gents here is my proposed plan.

I will have to brew this next weekend as brewing on 9/9/09 isn't feasible.

I will be doing 2 5gal batches.

Batch #1 will be this exact recipe
Batch #2 will be a couple changes. (Clear Belgian candy syrup instead of table sugar, MO instead of Pale malt, and I will be using Scottish ale yeast)

Then half of each batch will be oaked. So each person I trade with will get 1 12oz bottle of each!

If you can't find Magnum, PM me and I can sell or trade for other varieties. I've got a little over 1/2 lb so I can help at least 3 or 4 people. (Edit: Filling up fast. Make that one or maybe two more people. :) )

http://www.brew365.com/hop_availability_chart.php
They say that Midwest and NB have them in pellet.

Galena is a great sub, too.

I brewed a smoked english style barleywine on 8-8-8. I followed Brewpastor's recipe minus a couple of substitutions. I used Marris Otter for the base grains. Smoked 3lbs of the M.O. with applewood. And used Willamette, Fuggle and E.K.G's for my hop additions.

I'm tempted to dryhop some E.K.G, fuggle or both during the secondary. Any input or thoughts on doing this?

Brewing this on 9-6 partigyle style

First Barleywine
First Partigyle

I may up the grain bill about 3-4 lbs so I can hit 1.040+ on my 2nd runnings.
I'll stop 1st running at 1.110 if I have to, but I'm hoping for 1.115+ with a 90 min mash and decent efficiency.

I am also planning on moving to a secondary onto oak after 8 weeks and let sit for 4 months. Keg, Chill, Bottle, Ship.

Damn I am super-excited to brew this beer...My brother in law loves Barleywine. If this turns out it will be his Christmas gift.

Just a few more days for me before the process begins. I finally got the last fitting for my mini-mash; I'm going do my first mini-mash this weekend with Dude's Lakewalk Pale Ale to break in the system and work out the kinks, then on to my second mini-mash, first Barleywine with this recipe. Nice thing is I can pitch it right onto the Pale Ale yeast cake.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Back