I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batch is done and showing signs of fermentation already this morning.

Got to use the new drip bucket. I underestimated the level of the mash in this big beer so had to make some minor...er...uh...adjustments to the height of the bucket
999-Drip_1.jpg

Here you can see the bucket suspended just 1/2 an inch over the mash to maintain a steady drip. Sparging took about 45 minutes.
999-Drip_2.jpg

Hops are all ready to do their thing.
999-Hops.jpg

Nottingham yeast slurry waking up in a warm bath.
999-Yeast.jpg

This was one hard boil. All total about 2 hours worth...not including ramp up time to get to boil.
999-Boil.jpg

Shook the hell out of the IC to get a good frothy aeration.
999-Aeration_1.jpg

Think I aerated this puppy enough?
999-Aeration_2.jpg

Just a bit shy of target...but I doubt it will matter.
999-Hydro.jpg

No airlock for this one...it's all about the blow off tube.
999-Carboy_1.jpg

Oh...and let's not forget to keep a cool fermentation the first 10 days.
999-Carboy_2.jpg

Is a drip bucket an alternative to a sparging arm?

Very beautiful, looks like you had a very nice brew day!. :D

Heh, cmon now, he's said many times that his friends drink the stuff and give him the empty boxes. They ARE sturdy after all!

BM, you gotta get some spray paint on that, man! :p

(I use a bunch of Busch Light carriers because they're what the liquor store gives me. So I lightly dust them with 99c Wal-Mart white flat primer. :D )

So my initial run-off (1st runnings? my first AG batch) are 1.068.

Does this sound low? or is this about where I need to be? Pulled about 5.75 gallons out. Waiting on sparge #1 to cool to get a number on it. I'll post back with it asap.

Also I think making another beer out of the 3rd runnings.. :rockin:
Party-gyle??

It's a whole day of firsts..:mug:

Will wonders never cease?
My 9-9-9 settled down a couple days ago, so I finally took a reading yesterday just to make sure everything was good. It went from 1.112 to 1.025 in about 6 days using US-05. It'll sit another week, then off to the carboy for a couple weeks. After that it gets bottled and banished for the year.

Caramel 120 is a close approximation. It's not exact, but it still gives a lot of the raisin-y dark fruit-y flavors. Otherwise, a little bit of "D2" Candi Sugar will do the same thing, so I hear.

By the list of those who have brewed or rather who haven't, it looks like there will be alot of us brewing this in the next 5 days. Should be some good discussion on brewing this big beer. Hopefully there are a number of people doing a parti-gyle on this one. I'd like to see how others did and maybe swap the lower gravity beer also.

Heh heh. Point taken. I won't be brewing this for a couple weeks, though - I'm brewing my starter beer this weekend (SMASH APA with Cry Havoc, w00t w00t!) and will probably be out of town next weekend (Gettin drunk at Lake of the O, w00t w00t!).

Speaking of which... STL isn't that far, only 3 hrs. Hm. :D

OOOOOLD questions, but I finally got the answer, so here ya go DW!

I knew about the 7-7-7IPA and have done the 8-8-8RIS, but didn't know there was a 6-6-6brew. does someone have a link for that, a search pulled up some "make fun of 666" type threads and Dudes brewday. I didnt know if a recipie was burried in there somewhere.....

perhaps a thread with all the official "number brews" (locked to keep it from getting cluttered up, or only so mods can add the new recipies to it as they come up) would be in one place for easy reference.
For now, hosted here: http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Chriso/Annual_HBT_Brew_Tracking/
I don't know whether it belongs on the wiki or not, so instead I will see about having it added to the Recipe Locater thread.

My vote is for the following:
10/10/10 - Strong Scotch Ale

Mine too. Thread started.

FWIW...I'm going on 9 days and this puppy is still dancing like there's no tomorrow.

Never ended up with a blowoff...just a good vigorous fermentation that doesn't want to stop.

(not the best video)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9cTL2R_1Zg]YouTube - 999 Barleywine Fermentation[/ame]

FWIW...I'm going on 9 days and this puppy is still dancing like there's no tomorrow.

Never ended up with a blowoff...just a good vigorous fermentation that doesn't want to stop.

Which version did you end up doing? The 3.5 gallon or did you go whole hog and do the 5 gallon?

Back