Other options for a makeshift airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
Hi I am new to homebrewing and have created two kinds of wines ( welch's white and red) both using a balloon with a pinhole and a rubber band around it. We drank the gallon within a week of fermenting each time, because we didn't know any better. What I am wondering is if it is alright to store beer/wine/mead/cider during secondary fermentation (and to allow it to age) using the balloon method. I know how cheap airlocks are, but my problem is there are no homebrewing stores in Memphis and I would have to get the items shipped. I know it is much easier to use an airlock, but until I decide that this is a hobby I want to devote a significant portion of my time and money into, I feel that it would be better to keep it cheap. I would buy a few airlocks online, but the shipping would be a pain and I plan on waiting until I am going to buy other materials besides the airlocks.

Anyway the main question is.. Is the balloon method safe for at least a month's storage?

Thanks again and I hope this hobby works out well!

Patton

[SIZE=-1]Winery & Brew Shoppe
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]60 S Cooper St[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Memphis, TN 38104[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](901) 278-2682‎
[/SIZE]

woah I thought that store closed O.K. thanks I'm gonna go check that out.

EDIT: just for cheapness, would it work? : D

EDIT2: In fact I am almost certain that the store mentioned is now just a liquor store and they dropped the supplies because it wasn't profitable.(at least that is what a liquor store who used to sell supplies told me about that specific store)

I read about that method when searching, and I have a couple questions regarding it, you have to allow a little bit of room for the CO2 to escape right? Also, it seems that the method mentioned wouldn't work well for aging, as I said I am very new to brewing, but if I wanted to age something it seems that oxygen could make it in.

Ok great, so although it is extremely cheap and trashy it would work for longer storage than just primary fermentation.

Thanks again for the quick response

a friend of mine just loops a piece of bottling hose, tapes it together and then sticks that in the rubber stopper then adds a bit of water in the hose. about 8-10 inches of hose would work. hope i explained that well 'nough... :D

I will be doing a makeshift myself when I begin brewing. I will use a tube runnin ffrom the
top to a jar or bucket of santizer water. Also some people make sauerkraut in a fashion
similar to the method you described. Get a waterproof plastic bag, fill it with water
like a loose water balloon, drape it over the opening on top, making it "airtight", as
far as the outside world is concerned, but still letting fermentation gases out.

Next time you are at Wal-Mart, Costco, or whatever, goto the baby aisle.

Look at their rubber nipples. Some are latex, some silicone. Not all are created equal but, I have found some of these nipples that fit perfectly snug over the lip of a carboy.

It's risky for long term use!

At least thats Jack Keller's opinion.

Pogo

Back