Finishing a big Tripel with Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowveil

Reaction score
So I've got a tripel in the primary (og 1096) that has since dropped down to 1010. I bought a bottle of Victory Wild Devil, and I'm thinking about siphoning off a gallon of this tripel into a gallon jug and tossing the dregs of the brett-fermented Wild Devil in along with it.

My question is....will this create any discernable difference, or do you think I'd be better off saving the dregs for a batch that I can allow the Brett to take over a larger chunk of the fermentation?

I did a Duvel type beer back earlier this year with an OG similar to yours, probably a bit less. It went down below 1.010 to about 1.004 or so. I added a drop or 2 of Brett starter to a few bottles. I tested it at 4 months and REALLY wished I had done more. I tested it again at 6 months and it is really a great beer and I can't wait to get into the larger bottles 750ml in a year or so. Very complex and the Brett is right there up front. If it can be that Brett-forward with only a little priming sugar and possibly a point of gravity to work with, I'd say a tripel at 1.010 will be very discernable! Just give it a few months to chew through the beer.

I'd probably make a starter instead of just tossing the dregs. You want to give the dregs as much of a chance as you can and tossing them into 10% beer might be asking a lot of them.

And, imo, Wild Devil is a very under-rated beer. It is one of my favorites. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Back