A LHBS visit....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
So I moved to Atlanta a few months back and have just recently gotten all my homebrew equipment out and ready to use. I have ordered from AHS in the past and did so again for my hefeweizen that I made last week.

But, I was hoping that there would be a LHBS in the Atlanta metro area that I could go to, look around, and buy whenever without having to worry about getting everything at once to save on shipping. I searched a couple weeks ago and posted here in hopes of finding a nice LHBS to patronize. It turns out that the homebrew supply scene in Atlanta is very sad. I found two near Atlanta that existed in the past but are now closed (btw, one that closed was the one Alton Brown visited on his show "Good Eats"). I found three shops, all way outside the city (30-50 miles from me) and this is primarily why I ended up ordering from Austin Homebrew.

Well, after searching agin Saturday, I found a shop (I don't know how I missed it) that is 5 blocks OTP and about 10 miles from me: Wine Craft. I stopped by Saturday and I though I would post about it.

From what I can tell, it is owned and operated by an older couple. They are extremely nice and helpful. The shop is full of [almost] all the gadgets you would ever need to brew at home (I bought a Better Bottle, airlock, and an auto siphon) and the prices are comparable to anything online. However, I can't say I was too impressed by their malt and hop supply. There were a lot of big bags of grains, some had been opened and re-sealed, and there were many containers of brand-name LME and DME. The hops were all in 'light proof' bags in boxes on the self (not refrigerated). I did take a peak in the fridge and it seemed like they had quite a selection of White Labs and Wyeast yeast, again no telling how old.

I doubt I will be buying fresh ingredients there but it will be nice to visit for supplies and emergency yeast.

I know this isn't a question or anything, but I thought I would post in case there is anyone in the Atlanta area looking for LHBS, as I was a month or so ago.

I noticed that many good brewing shops are mainly wine making shops. The guys at the Oak Barrel in Berkeley are brewers themselves, but say home wine makers will buy just about anything at any price during the grape picking season. Pays the bonuses.

I know how you feel!

I just posted about this as well...

I went to the only HBS in town yesterday and found the hops on a shelf...and no one knowing anything about homebrewing!

I'm with you though...I'll probubly go there for equipment and emergencies but for ingredients I'll probubly stick to AHB

david_42 said:
I noticed that many good brewing shops are mainly wine making shops. The guys at the Oak Barrel in Berkeley are brewers themselves, but say home wine makers will buy just about anything at any price during the grape picking season. Pays the bonuses.

Yeah, this place says they have been in continuous operation for 35 years! I think in Atlanta (or anywhere) that is pretty amazing.

Back