My Lager's Krausen won't drop!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

So I have a batch of lager going.

I severely under-pitched, therefore the fermentation took 110 hours to get going.

The Krausen has now been raging for ELEVEN days...it looks like it's starting to slow down, but it's still going at it.

So it's been about 3 weeks since I pitched...

Should I wait for the krausen to disappear before I raise the temp for a 48 hour rest?? or should I wait for FG before I give it the rest?

Thanks for the advice,

Delaney

F.G. don't worry about the foam it will drop in the end. I have had lagers take over a month to get down to F.G. I wait then bring temp up and get a little kick up in fermentation.........my.02

Okay...I don't want to take SG readings if I know it's still going...is it safe to assume that while there is a bouncing krauser I still have fermentation occuring?

Delaney said:
Okay...I don't want to take SG readings if I know it's still going...is it safe to assume that while there is a bouncing krauser I still have fermentation occuring?

More than likely so. I personally like to wait until the surface of the beer is completely clean before doing anything.

Taking readings is just part of brewing. I would take a reading now to see where you are and give it a d-rest if you are at 1.020 or a hair under. You don't want to wait until FG for your rest.

Back