Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TexasWine said:
You got it exactly right. It won't kill the yeast you introduce.

Ok cool. Thanks for the advice! If u don't mind... Could I explain why the tablets or k-beta will kill yeast and "bugs" that are initially in the cider, but then it won't kill the yeast I add afterwards? It's not that I don't believe u, I'm just curious and it surprised me! :) sorry for the slight thread deviation...

Just started a batch using homemade cider (mixture of state fair, Jonathan, and red and delicious). Got a reading of 1.040 before adding corn sugar. After adding just shy of 2 lbs (all I had on hand) got a reading of 1.051. Pitched Nottingham, but no bubbles yet. Will report back in the morning! :D

dhammers91 said:
Just started a batch using homemade cider (mixture of state fair, Jonathan, and red and delicious). Got a reading of 1.040 before adding corn sugar. After adding just shy of 2 lbs (all I had on hand) got a reading of 1.051. Pitched Nottingham, but no bubbles yet. Will report back in the morning! :D

Have faith bro!! I jus bottled a 5 gallon batch made from whole foods apple juice n nottingham. The "not" took it from 1.056 to 0.995!! Give it time! Let it work its magic!! And youre gonna love it!!

johnpcook1 said:
Have faith bro!! I jus bottled a 5 gallon batch made from whole foods apple juice n nottingham. The "not" took it from 1.056 to 0.995!! Give it time! Let it work its magic!! And youre gonna love it!!

I figured it would just take time... U know what they say... "A watched airlock never bubbles!" Hahaha this morning there was visible pressure built up and very small bubble "blooping" through! Can't wait!

I bottled mine last night. At 7.75%, I added 4 cans FAJC, 2 cups light brown sugar in the syrup and 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon extract. Didnt have enough bottles and prob drank 3 bottles worth straight from the bucket. And almost stumbled to bed. U gotta be careful with this stuff!!

I bottled mine last night. At 7.75%, I added 4 cans FAJC, 2 cups light brown sugar in the syrup and 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon extract. Didnt have enough bottles and prob drank 3 bottles worth straight from the bucket. And almost stumbled to bed. U gotta be careful with this stuff!!

Are you trying to mimic the whipped cream flavor of the vodka with the vanilla?

Cheesy_Goodness said:
Are you trying to mimic the whipped cream flavor of the vodka with the vanilla?

Yes, sorta. I wanted to mimic a whipped cream flavor or jus the vanilla that wud be in a real apple pie. The apple juice I used was a pastuerized vitamin C added unfiltered apple cider from Whole Foods. Cant say it did anything special for flavor, but I really bought it for the 1 gallon glass jugs :). The FAJC I used was walmart brand. And at 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon extract, neither are really strong. But it does taste good. And it is strong!!!

Yes, sorta. I wanted to mimic a whipped cream flavor or jus the vanilla that wud be in a real apple pie. The apple juice I used was a pastuerized vitamin C added unfiltered apple cider from Whole Foods. Cant say it did anything special for flavor, but I really bought it for the 1 gallon glass jugs :). The FAJC I used was walmart brand. And at 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon extract, neither are really strong. But it does taste good. And it is strong!!!

Glad the vanilla turned out good!

I ask because we talked a few pages back and you mentioned adding some lactose sugar and vanilla might add some of that whipped cream flavor.
If I can make it out to my LHBS by Saturday I'll report back with the results!

Yeah, I never got around to the lactose. I was making some changes last batch to this and it was jus gonna be one more. And I jus couldnt find a way to integrate it into this recipe without to much hassle. So, maybe next time for me.

Sapper713 said:
So, just checking, is there a general point I will start to notice clearing?

I just left mine alone for 4-5 weeks and when I checked on it, it was clear.

@UpstateMike or anyone who would know:

Regarding the original recipe that starts this thread, should the cider age in the bottles at all after pasteurization, or is the brew more or less good to go? Does this cider improve at all with with much age, and if yes, what would be recommended?

Regarding the original recipe that starts this thread, should the cider age in the bottles at all after pasteurization, or is the brew more or less good to go? Does this cider improve at all with with much age, and if yes, what would be recommended?

From what I read, it is good at the outset, but does improve with age. The aging just depends on how long you are willing to let it go without drinking it.

Mine was bottled about 6 weeks ago. It was good to begin with. But it's incredible now.

Mike
Two questions when do you add the yeast nutrient and have you ever tried this without the Carmel syrup?
Thanks for the info

It really doesn't matter when you add yeast nutrient. I'm a fairly new brewer and I've always put some in when I pitch the yeast and a few days after fermentation starts. If it isn't consumed it will just end up in the trub at the bottom.

Unlike Apfelwein, this cider without carmel will be fairly drinkable soon after fermentation and even earlier if you halt the fermentation at 1.01 or so. Apfelwein gets super dry and needs age to really be enjoyable.

The taste without the syrup and back-sweetening (to me at least) is very similar to Strongbow. I may actually make an entire 5 gallon batch at one point this way because I like it a lot :D

But, USM's recipe is now a staple in my place. One of the easiest, fastest turnarounds of anything I have ever made. LOVE IT!

pwortiz said:
The taste without the syrup and back-sweetening (to me at least) is very similar to Strongbow. I may actually make an entire 5 gallon batch at one point this way because I like it a lot :D

But, USM's recipe is now a staple in my place. One of the easiest, fastest turnarounds of anything I have ever made. LOVE IT!

How soon after adding the caramel and AJC do u start to drink it?

johnpcook1 said:
For me, carbonation was complete in 72 hours and I put it in the fridge. Drank it the next day.

Yes but u said it taste like rocket fuel... That doesn't sound like enough time was given bc rocket fuel doesn't sound appealing...

So I am contemplating substituting 1 of the 2 teaspoons of cinnamon for apple pie spice. Do u guys think that is a good idea, or should I just stick to the recipe?

dhammers91 said:
Yes but u said it taste like rocket fuel... That doesn't sound like enough time was given bc rocket fuel doesn't sound appealing...

Touche!! I think the rocket fuel Im describing is the significant alcohol that is in mine. The Nottinham did such a complete fermentation I ended up with 7.75% ABV. When you breathe out after a big gulp, you can feel it. Funny thing is, earlier in this thread I toyed around with trying to duplicate in the bottling what my gf and I did with a previous batch of this hard cider. That was adding a shot of whipped cream vodka to a bottle of this hard cider. After adding the vanilla, and with the ABV this high, that is essentially what I have :) no worries though. Now that I have put this in the fridge, it continues to smooth out and develop quickly. It improves each day.

Glad the vanilla turned out good!

I ask because we talked a few pages back and you mentioned adding some lactose sugar and vanilla might add some of that whipped cream flavor.
If I can make it out to my LHBS by Saturday I'll report back with the results!

Just as an update, I added about .25 pounds of Lactose sugar to half of the batch (which is 2.5 gallons). I had a sample at the end of the bottling process and I'm not sure it was enough to get any real cream flavor. I might try adding more next time.

Ok... Question... I followed the recipe except I used fresh pressed cider. I added the Nottingham yeast, and per the directions, I was supposed to get a FG reading of 1.010-1.015 after 14 days. I am fermenting on the warm side around 71 degrees, but in 9 days air lock activity stopped and I got a FG of 1.001. Did you guys have to stop fermentation early to keep the proposed FG? Could it be because I used fresh cider? The sample tasted fine... Pretty dry with a slight apple after taste. I think it will still turn out decent, just curious what went "wrong"?!?

dhammers91 said:
Ok... Question... I followed the recipe except I used fresh pressed cider. I added the Nottingham yeast, and per the directions, I was supposed to get a FG reading of 1.010-1.015 after 14 days. I am fermenting on the warm side around 71 degrees, but in 9 days air lock activity stopped and I got a FG of 1.001. Did you guys have to stop fermentation early to keep the proposed FG? Could it be because I used fresh cider? The sample tasted fine... Pretty dry with a slight apple after taste. I think it will still turn out decent, just curious what went "wrong"?!?

Ive had FG of 1.001, 1.000, and 0.995 for each of my three batches. Used Nottingham each time.

Well, I re-read the page 42 instructions and they aren't very clear on how to achieve the FG. When I made this I used a different yeast and let it run dry, and I got a FG closer to yours. After a few weeks in the bottle to mellow out, it tastes nothing short of incredible. But here's what I suspect USM did; rack the cider when he hit the target FG. An interesting little feature of Nottingham is that you can stop fermentation by racking, provided your racking skills are such that you leave all the yeast cake behind.

Couple other thoughts. One, since Nottingham is an ale yeast it would be happier fermenting at a lower temp. USM's original post mentioned fermenting at 64F. No doubt the higher temperature is why it got so dry in 14 days in your situation. Two, if that temp is as good as you can get, just check your gravity every day. When you get to your FG, rack it.

USM, jump in here if I've lead anyone astray.

Back