question about using Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing up an IPA using Brett(think Victory Wild Devil). I want to brew it on 8/16. It's for a beer dinner in mid-November. I've heard that brett is pretty slow to ferment. Do you think it will be finished in time for the dinner? I plan on kegging it, so that will cut out some time. Thoughts?

Should I just hit it with S-05 for the primary ferm to speed it up, then secondary with brett, or will all Brett be the way to go?

Brett isn't particularly slow to ferment- but the character will deepen and change over time. A couple months like you have is plenty to develop some funk. As a primary strain, Brett will work just as fast as regular saccharomyces, and the character can be markedly different from the normal brett funk.

For your purposes, you should be fine doing SA-05 with a Brett secondary. Since you're kegging, you can hit it with sorbate once it gets to a level of brett character that you like, or you can just let it continue to develop naturally.

Is the Wild Devil a pure brett fermentation? I've not had it.

If that's the case, then by all means go pure culture. If you step it up well on a plate, then it should finish out within a couple weeks. My last brett c. beer took about 2 weeks from pitching to bottling. I haven't done pure brett l. yet, so I don't really know how that behaves.

yep, pretty darn tasty too. hoppy beers and brett go together well... most of the experience, as you mentioned also, in that thread i linked all have pretty quick ferments and i think a few people didn't even make a starter, but i definitely would and stepping it up seems like the way to go because i think that the brett packs have less cells than normal sacc strains.

I'm actually stepping up the dregs from
Two bottles of wild devil. I should have a large enough cell count from that by the time im ready to pitch it
I will read that thread you mentioned.

I have been told that the yeast in Wild Devil is an identical strain to WLP653 Brettanomyces lambicus.

EDIT: looks like the gent who mentioned that to me (on a different message board) is also a member 'round these parts; it's his thread linked above.

Latest posts

Back