Pale Malt and 2 Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Are these the same ingredients? I see them used somewhat interchangably on the site as base ingredients.

I have used them interchangeably too as I have at time run out of Pale, but had over 100 pounds of Pils. I do increase my boil time with the Pils to boil off DMS.

I have used them interchangeably too as I have at time run out of Pale, but had over 100 pounds of Pils. I do increase my boil time with the Pils to boil off DMS.

I am looking to get into AG in the new year (actually gonna do your haus ale as my first recipe) and am looking to buy my base grains in bulk. What would you recommend for someone interested in brewing many diffrent styles as a suitable base?

And you say you boil longer, what do you mean? Increased mash time?

I have used them interchangeably as well. I'm sure there is a slight difference, but it's probably negligible.

After reading this I'm confused. Before reading this I was not. Are we talking 2 row vs (DME/liquid extract) and which category does pils fall into, is that always a 2-row? :drunk:

Why so many terms that sound so similar. There should be some Clear cut terminology to define what these things are.

After reading this I'm confused. Before reading this I was not. :drunk:

The short of it is that 2 row brewers malt is a little lighter and a little less malty than Pale Ale malt (which is also made from two row, but malted at a higher temp). For many recipes you won't notice the difference between the two, so a lot of people use them interchangeably.

I am looking to get into AG in the new year (actually gonna do your haus ale as my first recipe) and am looking to buy my base grains in bulk. What would you recommend for someone interested in brewing many diffrent styles as a suitable base?

It depends on the styles of beers you will brew. I use pils for my Oktoberfest, Kölsch, and Hefeweizen. 2 Row Pale is the base for my Haus, Porter, and IPAs.

I've made my Porter and IPAs with pils before and cannot tell the difference. I buy both in bulk though. If you are going mostly US styles, go with pale.

Longer boils mean boiling wort for 90 minutes instead of 70.

Find a house beer you like. (My house is Ed Wort's pale ale.) Anyway, find one you like. Buy the main base malt in bulk. Use it with other brews and styles to experiment with. But always keep it in stock for your house brew.

Then, find a second house beer and add the main malt ingredient to your base pantry supply.

Then expand into hops and by a lb of a common one you use. Then expand on it.

Soon you will have a supply of ingredients and they will become interchangable within limits.

Latest posts

Back