Brutus Brewers! Best flow rates to stabilize mash temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordie

Reaction score
For all the Brutus brewers out there...

I was wondering what the consensus was on flow rates while mashing. Thus far, I've been keeping the flow down to a strong trickle because I don't want to suck the mash down and compact it against my false bottom and also to make sure the temp probes in the outflow get a reading.

So now I'm wondering if I'm not recirculating enough heated liquid to efficiently raise and stabilize my mash temps. I've got a brewmometer in the side of my tun and I don't entirely trust it without a good stir because I've had hot and cold pockets. To compensate and make sure I don't overshoot my temps I've been killing the recirculation and burner after getting to mash temp and just letting the mash lose a few degrees over an hour or so rather than try and tinker with it.

What's the general consensus out there? Anyone successfully navigate this issue?

Gordie

I don't have an answer for you, but you might try going to Lonnie's website (www.alenuts.com). He has a place for you to email him questions and I understand he is quite good about answering. If that doesn't work, try posting your question at morebeer's forum. They have a lot of Brutus users, there.

kevin

I recirc the mash continually the entire time, usually 90 minutes. I have no idea what the flow rate is, but it is fairly slow, yet fast enough to keep a good flow past the temp probe thermowell in the T connected to my drain valve. The ball valve I throttle my pump with is set to a bit less than one quarter open.

The very first time I used my system, I stuck the mash by recirculating at full open throttle, and I had to stir it to get it unstuck. No harm done.

I'm not too good at matching the sparge rate and the mash drain rate, so I have to monitor it every couple of minutes.

Thanks. I'll give Lonnie a shout.

Billtzk, sounds like you're doing what I'm doing, so I can't be too far gone...

Is this thread still up? I have found that if I left the kettle ball valve wide open and left the ball valve about 1/4- just under half on the pump side. If you leave the pump valve wide open it will never work.. I have attached a video of the way I do it.. pay attention to the position of my ball valves.

Back