RIMS Stand - Simple Set Up, goal - To Dial In Mash-Tun Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Quaffer

Reaction score
I put together my RIMS system to be as simple as possible and to help me with dialing in my Mash Temp. I used this site for ideas, so figured I would show my system to perhaps give others some RIMS set up ideas.
We all know mash temp is key and that the actual temps in the mash-tun can vary due to a number of reasons. Temps leaving the RIMS are not necessarily what is leaving the Mash Tun during recirculation. If one can get the recirculation flow right you can come "close" to your RIMS temp set point is my premise:) at the very least you know what's going on temp wise. Once I get my mash-in water temp to the correct temp and mash in, I am typically at the correct mash temp, if not then I PID it to correct temp - then leave the mash to sit for at least 40 minutes to do its conversion before starting to recirculate to compact the grain bed and hopefully rinse out more sugars from the grain. If you recirculate too early your just asking for temp differences in the Mash-tun during the key conversion time frame. Yes I still stir the grain bed here and there and double check with a hand held thermometer. Conceivably, during the recirculation one wants to keep the mash-tun /RIMS set point until the hour is up then Mash out if desired. I picked up a dual temp sensor off of Amazon with good reviews. I recently used this duel temp sensor to monitor the mash temps by placing both temp sensors into the Mash Tun thermowell. Worked surprisingly well in comparison to my PID Temp reading along with confirming with the use of instant hand thermometers . My goal is to use/try one of the two temp sensors in the mash-tun thermowell and the other on the Mash Tun output to the RIMS. I will use a 1/2 t - fitting with a 1/2 thermowell for this - once the 1/2 thermowell arrives from China, can't find any sellers in Canada:( So, this dual temp sensor will monitor both the mash and tun recirculation output temps. This is all just to keep me privy what's happening during the recirculation after conversion has already occurred. Too hot on the Mash-tun output then increase pump volume to compensate vise versa for too cool. I have seen others use a PID to monitor the output temps of Mash-tuns, an expensive alternative in my mind and waste of a PID:).
I'm still learning, we all have our brew systems, key is to learn the system and get it to do what you want.

Attachments

• Brew Rig.jpg
    Brew Rig.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Brew Rig RIMS.jpg
    Brew Rig RIMS.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Thinking on it a little more, I noticed you have the Auber EZboil..not sure which model. I've ordered from them twice here in Windsor, Ontario... The first time, my total came in under $150 US, but over in Canadian $ and I was nailed for duty, the other order, only $110 or so, I was not. If you keep the Canadian value on US orders below $150 and ship via regular mail, Canada Post ususally waives duty and there's never a broker or any other fee. I have temp probes (all with 1/2"NPT bases) from around the world: 1 from ebay, 1 from Amazon, 3 from 2 different dealers on AliExpress, and 2 direct from Auber. I haven't installed them all yet but in bench tests that included freezing and boiling water alongside my 2 reference thermometers (calibrated mercury and a claibrated spring/ dial-gauge), the Amazon and one of the AliExpress ones failed, varying up to 12° out at the low end and over 40° out at the high... The Auber, which are the short ones to be installed in tee's, stayed within 1/2° across the range. More expensive, but for my own sense of comfort; well worth it.

I picked up the EZ Boil DSPK120 from the States via Amazon.com direct from Auber, came to 101.82 CDN, so far no duty customs official has contacted me for any duty, hoping it stays this way:) I have just did the one batch with this Auber PID so far, seems to be working fine temp wise, but like you I should actually be bench testing the unit. Its hard to find the time some times and I was eager to get a batch done this past weekend - my kegs are empty:) I agree a bench tested PID would offer more comfort than a mere Amazon temp sensor like I am trying out, I may end up going this route eventually as well.

Latest posts

Back