Does it look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolharry

Reaction score
Going to bottle this bad boy today and found this. It's a NB Scottish 60 shilling that's been in primary for about two months or so. I couldn't get to it earlier cause we've been moving and all that. Anyways, smells normal but I haven't pulled a sample to taste yet. I'm guessing it's fine as ive read plenty of these infection threads, but not having done too many brews yet I wanted to check here just incase.

Thanks in advance!

image-1815091975.jpg

image-724781724.jpg

Looks like you've got a LOT of floating yeast rafts. Either it's still doing it's job, or it just never dropped properly.

Check the gravity to be sure it's done, and then I'd try to cold crash it if possible to make your racking easier. Otherwise, you're going to have to be REALLY careful to only rack from the middle of the beer to the bottling bucket (or finely strain/filter) and will probably lose a little more beer that way. Cold crashing will allow more yeast to drop out of suspension and down with the trub, which makes racking simpler.

I've noticed White Lab's scottish ale (WLP028) seems to need a little help dropping, and a few days at fridge temps did the trick for me. If you're using a similar strain, I'd suggest it if you can. If not, racking to secondary and continuing to age may also help you in limiting trub/yeast cake loss.

I used WLP028 on an Irish Red Ale (close enough flavor profiles on the yeast for my taste buds!) and they dropped beautifully. I got impatient on my Scottish Strong Ale and didn't crash it, and wound up with yeast rafts in my keg. First few pints were not pretty, but the rest has been clear (which just means I cold crashed in my working keg, and drank the rest of the trub-tested my digestive system something fierce!)

Just to update
Once I moved the bucket upstairs to bottle, almost everything broke apart and sank back down so I let it rest awhile and bottled it up. Just tried one last night after about two weeks in the bottle and it was pretty damn good. Still a bit young and not much for carbonation yet, but i carbed it to style which is apparently pretty low in a 60 shilling. And as I've read about the style, the flavor really got better as it warmed up a bit from fridge temps.

Back