Greetings from Miami, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graemhoek

Reaction score
Here I am, ready to brew. I've got an IPA on secondary fermentation (its a good thing I'm single because the only thing in my fridge is that carboy) and a honey weiss (toasted?) on primary. Its beeriffic!

Oh... I also have celiac's disease so everything I brew is made with buckwheat, oats, sorghum, and other non-glutenous malted grains.

I saw a feature in BYO this month about a guy with the exact same condition. He was even germinating his own grains. Welcome!

I have long entertained myself by dreaming up novel ways to make food without gluten, beer seemed like the next logical step.

My sister has an intolerance for gluten as well. I have recently been researching ways to ferment out stuff like sorghum and tapioca to satiate her desire for beer.

I'd love to see any recipes you may have for wheat free beer.

I've discovered buckwheat makes a great alternative, you have ot be careful about using too much. The flavors can be sort of foxy. Mixing with oats and *especially* black rice can make it taste more like the beer you know. Maltose is available in a pure form which should be used to supplement since buckwheat isn't high in malt content. Papain helps too with those proteins that give your beer that mouthy feel...

graemhoek said:
I've discovered buckwheat makes a great alternative, you have ot be careful about using too much. The flavors can be sort of foxy. Mixing with oats and *especially* black rice can make it taste more like the beer you know. Maltose is available in a pure form which should be used to supplement since buckwheat isn't high in malt content. Papain helps too with those proteins that give your beer that mouthy feel...

Are you using flakes oats? Is black rice the same as wild rice? Hmm Maltose in a pure form. I'll have to check that one out.

I get my maltose from lab suppliers... the advantage of being a grad student... I hadn't known that there were any advantages to being an indentured servant but apparently there are.

Lots and lots of varietals of rice... just like the West has cultivated and hybridized wheat so has the east cultivated rice. It leaves something to be desired in terms of flavor if it has been polished so I stick to whole grain whatever-kind-of-rice-it-is.

Back