Popped open first AG homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
I brewed up BM's Centiennial Blonde as my first all grain. After about two weeks in primary, I moved it into bottles. Its been a little under three weeks and my girlfriend and I cracked one open to see how it went.

It's not bad and more time bottle conditioning will improve it but there is something off with the taste. It smells good and it looks great in the glass with lots of carbonation. It tastes how I would expect up front however it has an unpleasent sour taste in the finish which lingers long after.

This was my first AG and I know I made a few mistakes. I know I missed my batch sparge temperatures badly by about 20 degrees. Do you think that this off taste will fade in time or do you think it was a mistake in my process that I can learn from and improve in the future?

Sounds like it needs more time to mature IMO. How exactly did you do this? 2wks in Primary, then 1 week in bottles and you tried it?

I did two weeks in primary and so far 2.5 weeks in bottle. I have an American Amber Ale fermenting that I plan on leaving in primary for three weeks and then bottling. I need to be more patient!

Back