Burner Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredan

Reaction score
I just purchased a propane Jet burner with 23 Nozzles for my system. When I use the burner it seems to use up a huge amount of propane which then causes the tank to freeze and eventually causes a drop in tank pressure. Do I need to purchase a specialized regulator in order to control the flow or pressure out of the tank? Currently I have attempted to control the flame using a ball valve, but this has lead to a poor mixture which causes the carbon build up. I have also attempted to remove and plug some of the jets using set-screws to control the heat and gas flow but the burner does not seem to keep all of the jets lit. Also how far from the bottom of the keg should these burners be mounted? Any help to resolve this issues would be appreciated.

I've got a galvanized metal bin that I put my propane tank in. When it seems like it's going to freeze up, I pour a few gallons of warm water in it. Ghetto, I know, but it works. I got that idea from a dude who brews in Alaska in the winter, so it must be good.

GET A REGULATOR! It doesn't need to be special (a simple grill regulator will work), but you can't properly regulate high pressure gas with a ball valve.

I have the regulator which is connected to the gas line running to the propane however the tank still freezes. Are you suggesting that I purchase and adjustable regulator?

First, are you sure you got a propane burner? They make them for NG and propane and the NG jets have much larger orifices. You'd always burn too rich on those.

These burners should be mounted at least 4 inches below a keg and I mean between the top of the tips and the bottom skirt of the keg. Too close and you'll get a pillow of combustion gas right where the tips try pulling air in.

I have lowered the burner down approximately 4 inches below the skirt of the keg, which seemed to help, Thank you. I then went out and purchased a variable regulator 0-60 psi. After running a few tests, the burners seem to work best when the ball valve and the regulator are used together. I have also closed off some of the nozzles, but still have an issue with the jets all lighting up. Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back