Burner issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
A few years back my wife bought me a new Gas One burner, and I really liked it, but the last time I used it I couldn't get it to burn right. It was doing the big slow orange flame instead of the small focused blue flames. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the O2 to propane ratio, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I've replaced the little oxygen flapper thing, but I'm not sure what else to try. Can someone help me fix this thing?

Where the propane line enters the burner stand, there's likely a metal disk that rotates. When you rotate it, it either covers up or uncovers a hole with a screen over it. This is how you control the air/propane ratio. Open it up to allow for more air.

Sorry I just sold my propane setup this week, so I can't take a photo for you.

My Blackstone griddle does that exact thing. I have to unhook it from the bottle and hook it back up and it works perfectly. 🤷‍♂️

Also, often times if your bottle is almost out of propane the pressure is so low it acts that way.

Last edited:
Having the same one you have, and experienced the same issue, what I did, per the instructions, was disconnect the gas line from your tank to the burner. Let it sit for a few minutes and then reconnect and try again. I think there is a safety feature in the regulator that kicks in when the flow from the tank is low or interrupted. As was previously mentioned, there is a air mixture adjustment where the line connects to the burner that you rotate to adjust the mixture. I had that messed up once as well, and when I rotated the adjuster, and waited for the adjustment to kick in, all was good. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Did you get the issue corrected? Something else that could be happening with your set up…
the acme nut that threads onto your tank has a built-in excess flow valve. If you open the propane tank too quickly, it activates that excess flow valve and stops or greatly reduces the flow of propane out of the bottle. Try shutting off the bottle and unhooking everything to relieve the pressure, then hook everything back up and slowly open the tank to see if that helps.
EB7C3F5B-90B2-48A8-8D58-C7DF97D8FDEF.jpeg

Having the same one you have, and experienced the same issue, what I did, per the instructions, was disconnect the gas line from your tank to the burner. Let it sit for a few minutes and then reconnect and try again. I think there is a safety feature in the regulator that kicks in when the flow from the tank is low or interrupted. As was previously mentioned, there is a air mixture adjustment where the line connects to the burner that you rotate to adjust the mixture. I had that messed up once as well, and when I rotated the adjuster, and waited for the adjustment to kick in, all was good. Rock On!!!!!!!!
I'll try this. Thanks. I've already replaced the adjuster ring piece, but I'll try doing that with the hose. Thanks!

The suggestion to be careful about fire-up sequence is apt: propane cylinders sport a valve with an "Excess Flow Prevention" valve that's essentially a spring-loaded flow "plug" that triggers if you open the cylinder valve with down-stream equipment already open. That short high-volume flow trips the EFP which closes the flow to almost nothing which can leave the user frustrated to say the least.

The procedure to avoid a trip is to make sure down-stream stuff is shut off, then slowly open the tank valve, then slowly open the equipment valve (in this case the burner regulator).

Now, all that said, typically when the EFP triggers the burner would have tiny blue flames as the fuel flow is greatly restricted while there is way more make-up air than needed. The orange appearance as stated might be something completely different: a spider web inside the burner "venturi" (the big horn shaped section from the air and fuel inlet end). It is hugely common for spiders to nest in there for whatever reason, and this will typically result in a really orange sooty flame due to insufficient make-up air.

So I'd pull everything off the venturi end of the burner, shine a flashlight inside to start, and go from there...

Cheers!

The suggestion to be careful about fire-up sequence is apt: propane cylinders sport a valve with an "Excess Flow Prevention" valve that's essentially a spring-loaded flow "plug" that triggers if you open the cylinder valve with down-stream equipment already open. That short high-volume flow trips the EFP which closes the flow to almost nothing which can leave the user frustrated to say the least.

The procedure to avoid a trip is to make sure down-stream stuff is shut off, then slowly open the tank valve, then slowly open the equipment valve (in this case the burner regulator).

Now, all that said, typically when the EFP triggers the burner would have tiny blue flames as the fuel flow is greatly restricted while there is way more make-up air than needed. The orange appearance as stated might be something completely different: a spider web inside the burner "venturi" (the big horn shaped section from the air and fuel inlet end). It is hugely common for spiders to nest in there for whatever reason, and this will typically result in a really orange sooty flame due to insufficient make-up air.

So I'd pull everything off the venturi end of the burner, shine a flashlight inside to start, and go from there...

Cheers!
I didn't even think to look down there. Thanks.

fwiw, if it's quiet enough one can hear an EFP trigger with a "ping". And sometimes you can hear it "click" reset when you disconnect the down-stream device - which sometimes might be necessary to get things working again.

Cheers!

All good info, so far all I have experienced is the low flow problem that Daytripper has described. I kee my burner int he box sealed up. The cure for me has been to shut everything off, disconnect the hose at the tank, let it sit a minute or two, reconnect and turn everything on starting at the tank and then the valve for the unit. Good luck, that burner is strong and puts out a really nice flame when working.

All good info, so far all I have experienced is the low flow problem that Daytripper has described. I kee my burner int he box sealed up. The cure for me has been to shut everything off, disconnect the hose at the tank, let it sit a minute or two, reconnect and turn everything on starting at the tank and then the valve for the unit. Good luck, that burner is strong and puts out a really nice flame when working.
I had to reassemble some stuff, but u think this pretty much worked. Thanks!

fwiw, here's a cross section diagram of a standard ACME propane nut showing the spring loaded Excess Flow Prevention ball check valve...

View attachment 817608

Cheers!
I think the main issue I was having is that the part of the hose that goes into the burner was held in by a spring and it doesn't screw in. Kinda weird. I don't think the spring was holding it in place well enough so I put a new spring on there, and clear the hose like you guys said and now it seems to be working.

I think the main issue I was having is that the part of the hose that goes into the burner was held in by a spring and it doesn't screw in. Kinda weird. I don't think the spring was holding it in place well enough so I put a new spring on there, and clear the hose like you guys said and now it seems to be working.
On mine, the hose screws into the dial that adjust the air/fuel mixture. I don't remember it being spring loaded, but that could be as well. I would think it would need to be screwed in just for the pressure the gas is going to put on the connection. But who knows, I am just a weekend warrior. LOL

In the video at about 1:14 he shows how to screw in the connection at the burner. This is not the burner I have, but the connection is the same. Hope this helps.

https://gasone.com/blogs/announcements/how-to-set-up-and-operate-our-propane-burners

On mine, the hose screws into the dial that adjust the air/fuel mixture. I don't remember it being spring loaded, but that could be as well. I would think it would need to be screwed in just for the pressure the gas is going to put on the connection. But who knows, I am just a weekend warrior. LOL

In the video at about 1:14 he shows how to screw in the connection at the burner. This is not the burner I have, but the connection is the same. Hope this helps.

https://gasone.com/blogs/announcements/how-to-set-up-and-operate-our-propane-burners
Yeah, it's a weird design. Kinda wonder if it was missing a part or something. They don't make them like this anymore. The more I think about it, it's a few years old. It's weird though.

Back