What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started a Franch Saison yeast starter
20190112_131751.jpeg

Made my yeast starter (wlp080) for my cream ale. Then I sanitized bottles for bottling. Gonna be doing both (brewing and bottling) before noon tomorrow!

Ordered a bunch of stuff.

EZ clean ball valve for my BK.
0.5 micron aeration nozzle
2 ball lock gas disconnects
2 ball lock beer disconnects
Bottle of Fermcap
Hornindal Kviek yeast pack
A Spunding valve
1000 polypropylene insulation balls.
1 oz of Brewtan B
Sodium metabisulfate
Potassium metabisulfate

Helped my buddy on his first brew in 5 years. He's been buying equipment and finally completed his fly sparge setup with hoses and a pump.

I got my Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer up and running, today. It's been through two Better Bottles (one with some caked on crud from an English Mild), one 3 gallon keg, and it's working its way through the next 3 gallon keg.

After that, it'll get a five gallon keg, into which I'll rack cider; then, I'll throw that carboy right onto the cleaner.

Friday, I've been too busy to post.

Brewed a batch of Bitter JO IIPA.
Used my new HopStopper 2.0, worked excellent
Deep cleaned my fermenter while it was sparging.
Cleaned all 3 lines in my keg fridge.
Cleaned and sanitized/purged my 2 empty kegs.

added the cacao nibs about 5 days ago in secondary to my white Stout and just added some coffee beans last night. Took a sample and it's tasting awesome. going to rack it to the keg tomorrow night and cold crash for a couple weeks.
IMG_20190114_203328952.jpeg

Grain mill showed up and I'm excited to put it to good use for my busy brew month. Gonna do two brew days in January, one week apart. Already had the grain milled for the first batch (didn't know I was getting this for my birthday, thanks to my lovely wife). I plan to try it out for the second batch.

First batch is gonna be a NEIPA and I'm using WLP066 London Fog which I'm excited to try. Been using US-05 for a while.

Second batch might be a another stout while the weather here in AZ is still relatively cold (cold ground water good for cooling and no need for fermentation fridge).

I'm harvesting the yeast after each of these batches, which is something I've never done before. I'm using WLP066 for the first batch and was thinking of using WLP004 for the stout. We'll see how things go [emoji3]
IMG_20190114_210832.jpeg

Racked white stout into keg from secondary. The coffee and chocolate notes are not too overpowering so I'm happy with the outcome! A solid 7% ABV.

After work I will check on the sach fermentation for my margarita gose, and if she looks like she has died down a bit will pitch lacto and raise the temp a bit, if not will wait until tomorrow.

My car is in the shop and husband bowls tonight, so settling in for a night of kitchen/fridge cleaning and finally kegging the Southern Passion Smash IPA I brewed 3 weeks ago. It's been cold crashing for the last 6 days because work and laziness, so it's about time. Might have lost some of the flavor/aroma from the dry hops from extended cold crash, but it smells great at least. This one was the husband's idea so I hope it turns out well. Also have to give my Holiday Ale keg a good long soak in hot oxyclean to get the spices out. And gloated over my latest lager that is 5 days old in the ferment fridge, still lots of yeast in suspension and smells terrific in there. Used harvested S-23 yeast in this one that were "expired" in 2016 and did great in their initial batch so looking forward to a nice traditional lager in a few weeks, nothing but Tettnanger hops for bittering and flavor.

*EDIT* For anyone who is thinking of trying the South African hops, I can definitely recommend the Southern Passion. Tastes fantastic, not overpoweringly of guava/passionfruit, just a nice residual sweetness with enough bitterness to keep it from being sickeningly sweet. Can't wait to see what it does on full carb.

Last edited:
Nothing yet today, but yesterday I picked up some drill bits, cutting oil, and step bits to drill a hole in my kettle for a valve. Also grabbed 10 gallons of RO water from the Walmart machine for the next brew day. Hoping to find a spot in the house to keep those that won't piss the wife off too much. Getting down to around 17* this weekend and really don't want 10 gallons of RO ice in the garage.

Latest posts

Back